TS 1.0.8 Beta Released

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

TS 1.0.8 Beta Released

Post by Ande » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Turbo Sliders 1.0.8 Beta has been released for public testing.
You are free to download and install it (links below). If you
find any bugs or other issues, please report them to this thread.

The new features include:

- Missile battle and XBumpz mod
- Damage (both for battles and races)
- Better PunaBall stats
- Better fuel level notifications
- Better joystick support
- More statistics shown in cup stats
- Fixed failed track loading crash bug in 1.0.7
- UPDATE: Two new starting orders
- UPDATE: Possibility to change initial fuel amount
- UPDATE: 7 tracks by Punatiainen included
- UPDATE: Possible to add track specific autoserver macros
- UPDATE: Remixed the music
- UPDATE: New HUD mode

The main new feature is the support for battle modifications,
both for XBumpz and for a completely new missile battle mod.
Missile battle has not been tested enough yet so the main purpose
of the public beta is to be able to test it with more players.
There may be many bugs or gameplay issues related to it.

The easiest way to start a battle is to select a battle
track (under tracks/battle) and start a game. Players with
earlier game versions can join but if there are missiles,
they are kicked before the game (if autokick is on).

To see more information about the battle mods, compatibility,
etc., see
README-battle.txt

UPDATE:

These links were changed to the first release candidate of 1.0.8 on 9th April. Full update information is posted to this thread below. If everything goes fine, this is the final 1.0.8 version that will be released officially later.

To install, download:

Windows Installer

or

Linux Installation Packet
Last edited by Ande on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mouse
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mouse » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:31 pm

WOW You have really gone all-out on this one! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Jeffrey
Community User Level: 3

About Fuel Level Notifications

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

Now near car when you drive you see 80%, then 50%, then 20% 10% etc.

This is good.

I suggest that this must be an option either set it on or off. Personally i don' t like to have text appearing next to car. But for many this will be a helping aid. I suggest that this be an option somehere in fuel menu or for now in sliders.ini to set this fuel level information on or off.

It is good to have (also as an option on or off) a bigger fuel and now damage meter on the screen.

The Tab option remains as is: nothing, list of positions, information near car.

Hengari

Post by Hengari » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:52 am

Cups with damage and fuel are now more fun than ever. Especially if you survive the 1st corner/lap. Xbowl and destruction derby with missiles are also nice.
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:06 am

Great stuff! GREAT! Its felt almost like christmas tonight :P You know when your a kid, and you dont know what toy to play with first? Well all these features, what to do first?!? Im going to do some testing now, wooooooooo. :D

fasteddie399
Community User Level: 2

Post by fasteddie399 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I agree - Great job, Ande! :P

One suggestion, and it kind of goes along with what Jeffrey said, is that it would be nice to have a server setting of whether or not to display the actualy percentage of fuel remaining. This new feature makes it VERY easy to plan exactly when to pit, whereas without it (fuel bar only) makes the driver have to put more guesswork into it (more realistic, I think). So, it would be great if there were another option (sliders.ini) "ShowFuelPercent X"... just a thought, for those die-hard long distance fuel races. :wink:

The missiles are a blast!!!! (pun intended)

zanttu

Post by zanttu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Aivan mahtavaa oli ajella eilen kisoja joissa oli sekä fuel että damage mukana.

Olisko mahdollista lisätä johonkin nurkkaan prosenttimäärät sekä bensasta että damagesta. Nyt joutuu aina painelee tabia et näkee ne tiedot ja silloin ajo herpaantuu hetkeksi. Ja esim viel semmonen ominaisuus ois hyvä että jos ois se bensamittari niin sen perään tulis kierroksen jälkeen monta prosenttia bensaa kulu edellisellä kierroksella. Sen mukaan vois katella missä vaiheessa tultava varikolle vai pääsiskö vielä yhden kierroksen :)

Ja sitten zoomin asetus komennolla /zoom x.xx niin ei tarvis aina käydä valikossa se säätää. Toi ei nyt niin tärkee oo ku harvemmin sitä tulee vaihdeltua. Mutta just uusissa speeder radoissa ois ihan kätevä saada helposti zoomii vähän pienennettyy.

fasteddie399

Post by fasteddie399 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:09 pm

I wish I could read that!

:cry:

Hengari

Post by Hengari » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 pm

fasteddie399 wrote:I wish I could read that!
Something like fuel and damage rocks!

And it would be nice to have percentages of fuel and damage in some corner because pressing tab is not easy while driving. Fuel consumption in percentages could also be shown after each lap.

/zoom command for changing zoom while driving (or some key to press).
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:34 pm

I sent this to ande by mail to see:

I think its very easy to implement.

I suggest that what ande did, i mean percetage level appering next to car remains but it becomes an option to be turned on or off.

I suggest this:

and again this option can be turned on or off

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:56 am

Me and Eddie found 2 bugs while playing. Eddie is going to post and tell one, and i will tell one now.

I use a joypad to play TS, while i host, any button i push will exit the race when it is finished. In battle mode, when i am pressing the fire key often, it exits the battle right after it is finished. It is rather annoying, mabye the ESC key should be the only key to be able to do this!

fasteddie399

Post by fasteddie399 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:29 am

:lol:

Noticed an interesting bug with the missiles... if you are shot while the missile is loading (loading = time between fire key pressed and missile launched), your car gets knocked aside but the loading missile stays behind! It was kind of amusing, actually. Especially when the "hanging missile" was actually moving VERY slowly... it would keep moving (maybe 3 or 4 pixels per second) until it hit something. :lol:

Perhaps this "bug" could easily be turned into a new Mines weapon? :P

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Thank you for all suggestions and reports so far.

About that hanging missile thing, had you set missile acceleration to 0? If not, I don't get why it kept going slowly. If you would happen to have that battle as a video, I would be interested to see it...

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:09 am

I've encountered the hanging missile "problem" too, and here's a video of it: HangingMissile.tsr

I'm guessing the problem was that stummiH. was driving backwards faster than the MissileStartSpeed, so the actual missile speed became negative.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Ah yes, now I get it. There is a minimum speed a missile must have but when a missile is going backwards, the speed is to wrong direction and it would need to go through 0 to go forward. But anyway, I try to fix this.

zanttu

Post by zanttu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm

Jeffrey wrote:I sent this to ande by mail to see:

I think its very easy to implement.

I suggest that what ande did, i mean percetage level appering next to car remains but it becomes an option to be turned on or off.

I suggest this:

and again this option can be turned on or off
That was a really good idea. I would like more if fuel and damage bars could be replaced by percentages. It's more easier to see how much fuel is left. And after a lap there could be about 5 seconds value that shows how many percentages of fuel u lost on previous lap. Or it could also be shown a whole lap.

Something like this:

And fasteddie399: learn some finnish :roll:

fasteddie399

Post by fasteddie399 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:43 pm

zanttu wrote: And fasteddie399: learn some finnish :roll:
:P

Finnish - where do I staart? :wink:

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:25 am

I had to post my idea again, cause the image disappereared beacuse my server does not support remote linking:

i had to host the image somewhere else.

Image[/url]

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Something like that could be nice, yes. One problem is that there are already many suggestions on how to do things and some of them are contradicting.

Should the exact percentage be seen or not? If there is a server setting for not seeing this, it would in theory allow some kind of cheating since the clients anyway know the exact number. And people could still get a pretty accurate number by counting the pixels and using stopwatches :). So I would say everyone is on the same line if the exact percentage is always known.

Is the current system of seeing the percentage for 1,5 seconds when some limit is passed ok? Are there many people who don't like it? Isn't it something one can get used to? I would not like to add a new setting only for that. Maybe, if it is an "invisible" setting that can only be set in sliders.ini, I could do that quite easily but would it be too hard?

Then about that HUD thing for which you gave a nice image. One thing is that there are already 4 ways where you can see the fuel percentage, now there would be even one more. There aren't many places left in the screen where one could put that thing, especially if it should be there for possibly all four local players. It can't be in the upper-left corner since that's where the messages are shown. Adding yet another control key for that would seem like a bad idea, too, since one can already say there are too many keys in use, and with TAB, you can see pretty accurate fuel and damage levels whenever you want. That HUD should also be able to move around when cars get under it and I am sure that many people would complain about it anyway. Showing exact position is a bit hard, too since currently it is only updated when laps are completed. So it could be misleading. So, I can't promise anything else but to consider it, since it does look good in that picture :).

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Ande, I see you made it so that the ShrinkSoccer option works for battle games too. I think this is a bad idea, because these mods are completely different and the battle tracks could be much larger than a normal Punaball arena.
My request: either make a separate option like ShrinkBattle, or at least make it so that "ShrinkSoccer" doesn't affect the zoom in battlegames anymore. If you could do this, thanks.

dby

Post by dby » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:52 pm

How about showing stuff in the lower panel instead of every drivers lap times? Maybe switching between different settings and no panel with the space bar?

zanttu

Post by zanttu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:12 am

Ande wrote:
Should the exact percentage be seen or not?
Yes
Ande wrote:
Is the current system of seeing the percentage for 1,5 seconds when some limit is passed ok?
Yes
Ande wrote:
Then about that HUD thing for which you gave a nice image. One thing is that there are already 4 ways where you can see the fuel percentage, now there would be even one more.
I don't like to drive if the fuel level, damage level, my name and laps are shown next to my car all the time. Harder to drive curves because those things make bad mask... I have also widescreen so it's better for me to turn off the bottom panel. And those fuel and damage bars are so small there that u really can't make any conclusion based on them.

And now it's really hard to hit tab-button middle of the race. I always hit capslock :) And then u must really quick hit it twice again to make the info's disappear before the next curve. :wink:

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 am

Tijny wrote:Ande, I see you made it so that the ShrinkSoccer option works for battle games too.
To be quite honest, I didn't remember that option at all and it seems that it just happens to work in battles too :). But I could add ShrinkBattle, yes. On the other hand, perhaps there should be a fixed visibility for everyone in battles so that no one could see more than the others. But it might cause lots of complaints, too :).

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:21 am

zanttu wrote: And now it's really hard to hit tab-button middle of the race. I always hit capslock :) And then u must really quick hit it twice again to make the info's disappear before the next curve. :wink:
Yes, you have a point. But a free tip is that you can change the button so that it is easier for you to press it during race :). Personally, I have my left hand in asdf (braking with f) and for me, it is easy to press TAB during a race :).

road_oktane

Post by road_oktane » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Ande, again you did a nice work on this 1.08!

The new features are very cool and will keep people playing addicted for a long time :D.

As it's a beta version my suggestions to the final 1.08 are little things like:

- /mute spectator
- /mute player
- /set startfuel XX
- /set forcemissiles 2 (on normal racing)
- /order 3 (by fastest lap)