An Idea for Good Looking Tracks using less tiles

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jeffrey
Community User Level: 3

An Idea for Good Looking Tracks using less tiles

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 pm

Tutorial Deleted
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dby
Community User Level: 2

Post by dby » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to make the pattern image in Photoshop (or some other program) as well?

The detail of the Jpeg looks pretty good. How small can you get the file size, still looking ok?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:10 pm

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dby

Post by dby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:48 pm

I think I'd just copy the image, resize, change it to indexed colours and draw on top of it... but it might be a bit of a hassle depending on wich paint program you're using and stuff like that... your method might be easier.

But do you use the same index for all blocking terrain? Then you get the same bumpiness for everything... Same thing goes for grass, sand etc. I think that if I put as much effort in a good looking Jpeg as you did, the pattern deserves some work too.

As long as people download the tracks before joining the server size isn't a big problem... people have tons of mp3 on their drives, each one usually much larger than 1Mb.

Tijny
Community User Level: 5

Post by Tijny » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:21 pm

But do you use the same index for all blocking terrain? Then you get the same bumpiness for everything... Same thing goes for grass, sand etc. I think that if I put as much effort in a good looking Jpeg as you did, the pattern deserves some work too.
Another problem with this "new" method could be that the track contains a lot of bugs (i.e. parts that look like tarmac but are actually treated as sand, or the other way around), and if you drive close to the edge that can be really annoying. If you make the pattern file in a program like Photoshop, you can work with much more detail and precision.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:57 pm

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey

BETTER TUTORIAL + DEMO TRACK

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:25 pm

DATA REMOVED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dby

Post by dby » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Really pretty graphics... do you make it from scratch or is it borrowed from somewhere?

It seems a bit big for me. What cars are you using? Standard sized TS cars look too small compared to the cars parked beside the track. So maybe you only need 4000*4000 to realize your project? ;)

And as I said before, such pretty graphix deserves a bit more accurate pattern image IMO.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:09 pm

Some other people do them, many i have contacts with them and ready to make more tracks for me.
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:23 pm

The problem with the big track size of for example 4000 x 4000 is, that the framerate (50 frames / second for many) wouldn't be so good anymore...
Probably Ande could test it in an unpublished version once more and tell how really bad the performance is...
though i can imagine from my games that it could go down to 5-15 FPS at least...in the case of relative many comupters, but i am not sure on the other hand ;).

dby

Post by dby » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I can hardly play 2000x2000 tracks on my stationary computer, it's getting a bit old.

Anyway, I tried it with the Formula X car. The car still seems too small compared to the track.

Here's your current size:

Compare to the cars by the side of the road.

Here's a version in 75% size:

Looks more right doesn't it?

There, now you only need 3750x3750 ;)
Still, my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:16 pm

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 am

Jeffrey wrote: Ande knows about my concern. In fact i sent him whole tracks to investigate. He told me he will keep it on his mind and someday work on it for future versions.
Please stop moaning about bit tracks. I think we already made you clear that it is only you and maybe 2 other guys who want that.

But on the other hand since this game doesn't have much more than these players anymore...

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 pm

I'm just suggesting a new feature for the game.

Many said that TS is dead. This may mean that its time to improve the game. People may need something new. Go and see other games like TS, they are full. Why? they have variety of tracks from micro to kart to f1 of different sizes.

Whats the problem with tracks of that type? If the game one day may support it. Why not have it? In this way we have more flexibility to make different types of tracks.
Last edited by Jeffrey on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lzan

Post by Lzan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Hey Jeffrey, which other games like TS (that are full) do you talk about? I might be interested to try them out.

I think you have suggested your big tracks thing enough many times. We all know that you want them. No need to repeat yourself.

A following fix came to my mind that could help you in that issue:
- Make a car that is half the size you are using now.
- double your zoom

-> your 2000x2000 track is effectively 4000x4000 (in case you are looking longer tracks and not just graphics)

This is just a though, but might work.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 pm

I was wondering Jeffrey, if you talked to the creator of these tracks images? I now know that they are from the game Mini Racing Online, you have the right to use them?

I am now starting the think that this is all not such a good idea. There are quite a few reasons why (all talked of here) and another reason - i guess one that only track makers would understand....

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 pm

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:12 pm

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:06 pm

Jeffrey wrote:I'm just suggesting a new feature for the game.
Yeah and you already did it often enough now. Others are not interested in this feature and rather would see some other things like a better network code etc.
Jeffrey wrote:Many said that TS is dead. This may mean that its time to improve the game.
No. Why improving a dead game? TS had more and more features from 1.0 to 1.0.8 but it didn't help getting more players.
Jeffrey wrote:Go and see other games like TS, they are full. Why? they have variety of tracks from micro to kart to f1 of different sizes.
TS was full because it was simple and tracks were small enough that you had contact often enough with other players. But if you prefer the other games then please go and play them instead of moaning here.

I tell you what the problem is with big tracks: For 0.86 there were enough small tracks. That means I can locally play this game again some other friends on one computer. This is not possible with big tracks as you won't see the cars anymore. And since there are so few small tracks for 1.x I still have to use the old version when playing on one computer with friends. Don't make that worse if you demand mega-sized tracks all the time.

Jazzyclub

Post by Jazzyclub » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:53 am

Flexman wrote: I tell you what the problem is with big tracks: For 0.86 there were enough small tracks. That means I can locally play this game again some other friends on one computer. This is not possible with big tracks as you won't see the cars anymore. And since there are so few small tracks for 1.x I still have to use the old version when playing on one computer with friends. Don't make that worse if you demand mega-sized tracks all the time.
This is your problem, not for makers!! if you not like new huge tracks then create your own tracks....

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:57 am

TUTORIAL ENDED
Last edited by Jeffrey on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:53 am

Jeffrey wrote:First of all i'm not moaning i'm just suggesting, and i see nothing wrong in that.
Ok. What I mean is: You already suggested it before and there also were some voices for other players that things like better network code etc. are more important for them so please accept that there might be other things that might have more priority than a bigger tracks size.
Jeffrey wrote:If you accept, i will do for you a whole track pack for 1.x. Without using any external tiles.
That sounds very fine, I'll have a look later!

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Jazzyclub wrote:This is your problem, not for makers!! if you not like new huge tracks then create your own tracks....
No it's not only my problem. Just a small part of active players make tracks. Most players come and play if they are happy with the situation and they don't play anymore if they are not.

dby

Post by dby » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:33 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Thanks about the idea, but it already came to my mind. Thats what i tried to do. Make a very small car and play with a large zoom. The problem was that the car seemed to move very fast.
Sounds like it should work fine, in theory at least... maybe you just need to fine tune the car a bit more?

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Mon May 01, 2006 8:06 am

Jeffrey wrote:Flex, post me here two images of a tracks you like from 0.86, just for me to have an idea how you like tracks.
Ok, there we go:

Turbosliders already came with good tracks:
ImageImage
ImageImage

I also liked many tracks made by AEUK:
ImageImage

Or some others (if they didn't have bad checkpoints):

And from time to time some fun tracks:

This had nothing to do with Formula 1 then...