Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Official News regarding Turbo Sliders.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hengari
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3

Driving style

Post by Hengari » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:16 pm

But then again, you did notice that I mentioned "gentlemen / women" drivers ... intentional blocking is stupid, as stupid as ramming into others in corners with full speed.
A lot of people are pissed of when pushed in a though race. I think that it is the name of the game to give some push and ram in the corners. Expecially in slider-cups. Haven't really driven any antislider-cups but pushing is more harmful with antisliders.

In though races you can't avoid some pushing, blocking and collisions. It gives some spice to the game :)
oldschool slider <3 | Hengari @ Quakenet/IRCnet
sliderpoint

Kobradog
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1

Post by Kobradog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:05 pm

Flexman wrote:Yesterday I met some guys who said that blocking is okay while pushing isn't. Strange view... either both or none I think.

As I think I am one of those guys, let me clarify a couple of things. Forgive me, if I get a bit too nitpicky.

I think there's always blocking in normal (non-ghost) racing. That is because of the fact, that the cars can't go through other cars and thus any car in front of you is indeed effectively blocking you (no matter what the driver does). In racing, you have to take the car in front into consideration.

Blocking faster cars (Anti blocking a Speeder), blocking after you yourself made a mistake (after you crashed into something, drove out of the track or drove out of the optimal driving line etc.) and blocking the overlappers... that's just plain lame.

Of course if you're racing, you try to fight for the win & not just roll over and die, but there are some limits. The point being that it is RACING after all, not a demolition derby.

If pushing equals ramming other people off the track on purpose ("I am doing my own race blaah-blaah"), then it SUCKS ROTTEN EGGS BIG TIME. If pushing means the occasional non-hostile bumb & grind here and there, it's just racing and nothing's wrong with that.

Look at how the members of teams like [Slitec], [norr] & [TL] drive and you'll know what I'm on about. They race hard, but they play fair.
Flexman wrote:...If someone don't want to get blocked or pushed at all than he has to play on a ghost server.

If only there was a working ghost server...

Aeuk

Re: Driving style

Post by Aeuk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:14 pm

Hengari wrote:
In though races you can't avoid some pushing, blocking and collisions. It gives some spice to the game :)
Yep, of course there are some of that happening - and that's just fine, but ... I meant when it's about constantly pushing other ones off the track, ruining positions & lap times, it's not exactly motivating in my opinion.

Though, some good feeling comes from ... Few example cases: When you are about to overtake someone you know will block 100% certainly, and you do the overtaking with less predictable driving line / maneuvers -> as a result the blocker drives himself into the bushes / lake / etc ... in best cases far offroad, losing lots of time - that's like the ultimate payback for blockers ;) (and the same goes with if you notice that a likely rammer is driving in back of you - doing a surprise maneuver in some curve / corner, kind of predicting what's the most usual way to try to ram your car -> as a result it's a "hit and miss", where you continue on unharmed, and the rammer crashes offroad ... again) ... :lol:

EDIT: Kobradog expressed the whole issue pretty well.

Serpent

Post by Serpent » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:59 pm

I think the game is best when people have the option to choose whatever car they wish and when collisions are possible, no matter whether it's ramming, blocking, pushing or whatever. But this is just my opinion since in races with our team, we race to win, to get best times, try to beat each others in the cup and so forth. Thus, people focus more on driving and scoring, less on crashing and ramming other drivers.

If one feels that his or her driving style doesn't fit with the others, then just change server or start one up by yourself. Just my few cents.

- Serpent -

Flexman
Community User Level: 2

Post by Flexman » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:10 pm

Kobradog wrote: Blocking faster cars (Anti blocking a Speeder), blocking after you yourself made a mistake (after you crashed into something, drove out of the track or drove out of the optimal driving line etc.) and blocking the overlappers... that's just plain lame.
[...]
If pushing equals ramming other people off the track on purpose ("I am doing my own race blaah-blaah"), then it SUCKS ROTTEN EGGS BIG TIME. If pushing means the occasional non-hostile bumb & grind here and there, it's just racing and nothing's wrong with that.
I think more than half of the Antislider-drivers block you if you want to overtake them with a Slider. If we would kick for that than there soon won't be any players left on the server.

And if those guys block, then also it is no wonder when others take them out in a curve.

Kobradog wrote: Look at how the members of teams like [Slitec], [norr] & [TL] drive and you'll know what I'm on about. They race hard, but they play fair.
Yes they play fine and fair and are winning anyway. I also think I rather would punch on of those blockers than these friendly guys. But if someone just block all the time than it's no wonder that you try to push him out...

Kobradog wrote:
Flexman wrote:...If someone don't want to get blocked or pushed at all than he has to play on a ghost server.

If only there was a working ghost server...
Yes I hope there will. We cannot kick everyone on a normal server and as you read here, also other guys think that that is part of the game and if you don't want any collisions that this is what the ghost server is for.

Let's hope that there will be more players in future so that the ghost server also will be full and maybe also an own slider server!

Mike Nike
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mike Nike » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:38 pm

These theoretic thoughts about blocking and pushing should be actually in a new topic ;-)
To collect opinions about this topic...what you mean?

@Auek
(and the same goes with if you notice that a likely rammer is driving in back of you - doing a surprise maneuver in some curve / corner, kind of predicting what's the most usual way to try to ram your car -> as a result it's a "hit and miss", where you continue on unharmed, and the rammer crashes offroad ... again) ...
Indeed, this kind of maneuvers to avoid beeing blocked or pushed its one special part of Turbo Sliders nonghost races, i actually like also very much :-) (so far i am not in a very good lap there ;-)).

Example: Track: Hughes. Players: riQ and me :-)
I start at first (right side, as i remember), he started left behind me...
Start, 1st curve: i drive at the ride side, riQ is coming inside, few 1/10 sec behind me...
Now, it was no "quick lap" (where i often just try to hold my line to get a good lap and hope, i won't be pushed out or be blocked..), so i watched that riQ tried to push me, when i would get in the corner...

A typical scene and Swos would agree that this would be a kind of pro-video ;-)
Now i just stop accelerating and let riQ drive into the grass in front of me, while i drive a slower wide curve than normal, but at last, i protected to be pushed.

This part of tactical driving by both (trying to push and avoiding to push) can actually be tolerated, as long as the other drivers are tolerating this OR the server / serveradmin allows this kind of rough/rude driving (style(s)).

My suggestion (to all the players, which like to drive like they want (so long they don't drive backwards ;-)):
Create a dedicated server with for example the serverinfo "Tactical Racing Server". Before each race the server gives a information (Begin Cup /say <information>...End <- in Macros.ini) like:
This is a tactical racing server. Tactical Blocking and Pushing is allowed (including tactical racing for teammembers).

If the serveradmin would also allow backward driving or not...then he should mention this of course, like:
"Backward Drivers can be kicked or banned by admins...".

In Comparison to a "tactical racing server" there might be a normal slider server or gentlemen server ;-).

My opinion about general online games is:
if there is a possibility to achieve the goal of the game, by its coded rules, but this possibility is an unmoralic way...then, if you have something like "honor", you would loose (a part of) it concerning fairplay...

So, when there would be a server, where blocking and pushing is allowed, i would also play there, because that might be the ultimate _Racing_ fun (if you aren't about driving lap records ;-)) and don't get worry, when you loose, although you should have won actually in fair conditions.
But actually, like Swos, Newton and other lovely AntiSliders, they love driving like in Formula 1 Races. And there, the moralic fairness is necessary for us. And in my opinion, driving/playing fair should be the "default" behaviour of each player. So, as long an extra information or something like that isn't agreeing to allow a kind of unfair playing, then a player should try to race fair.
And please, i saw this so often, don't think, if other players drive unfair, you may do it also. It might be okay to drive unfair against the player, who drove unfair too - when he is fine with this kind of revenge act.

Argh, thinking about this topic makes me a bit sad :-S
Finally, i (hope) to keep beeing a gentleman driver, but on the other hand driving in tactical racing servers would make also much fun :-)
Lately these kind of servers would be more about achieving a good place than getting the fastest lap and that is the usual "racing" actually also about (achieving the 1st place), isn't it :-) (ok, for players like me, it's not really the aim in most races these days)
And there will be sometimes much skill needed to get 1st, when there are others trying to push you out :-)

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:11 am

Mike Nike wrote:So, when there would be a server, where blocking and pushing is allowed, i would also play there, because that might be the ultimate _Racing_ fun (if you aren't about driving lap records ;-))
I think so, too. That pusing and blocking also makes more fun, especially if some other guy goes into the grass when trying to kick you. :D

The gentelmen-drivers often win anyway, so it seems that the are not victim that much. Maybe also because other guys also are more gentle to them.

But another issue: If you forbid blocking and pushing on a server than I think there will always be discussions if this was a regular hit or not. Because you cannot avoid beeing pushed and blocked - it always will happen somehow. And a game where there are only discussions between the races is not so fun anymore. It also will be difficult to find a solution where each player has the feeling that this is fair. I think there will be a lot of whining and moaning on this server then. :(

That's why I think that ghost servers are for the ones who don't want to collide.

spede

Post by spede » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:31 pm

Can't connect. Anyone else having similiar problems?

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:16 pm

spede wrote:Can't connect. Anyone else having similiar problems?
Please give more information. Where do you try to connect and what happens? If it is a server where other people can connect, your firewall probably does not allow the game to connect to a server.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:38 pm

Ande wrote:
spede wrote:Can't connect. Anyone else having similiar problems?
Please give more information. Where do you try to connect and what happens? If it is a server where other people can connect, your firewall probably does not allow the game to connect to a server.
Like a mentioned Gonzales was not able to connect to the Turbosliders main server. Seems that this server cannot be reached by everyone. :-(

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:44 pm

Flexman wrote: Like a mentioned Gonzales was not able to connect to the Turbosliders main server. Seems that this server cannot be reached by everyone. :-(
Has he tried lately again? If I understood correctly, Jollygood's ISP had blocked some IP ranges, but that the blocks would have been removed.

But if you still cannot connect, please give us your IP so that we can inform them to remove blocks.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:51 pm

Ande wrote:
Flexman wrote: Like a mentioned Gonzales was not able to connect to the Turbosliders main server. Seems that this server cannot be reached by everyone. :-(
Has he tried lately again? If I understood correctly, Jollygood's ISP had blocked some IP ranges, but that the blocks would have been removed.

But if you still cannot connect, please give us your IP so that we can inform them to remove blocks.
The site http://jollygoodgames.com still doesn't work for him, and I guess so does the server.

His IP today: 83.64.2.3

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:07 am

Flexman wrote: The site http://jollygoodgames.com still doesn't work for him, and I guess so does the server.
Thank you for the info. I have informed Jollygood - there definitely shouldn't be any blocked IPs.

Mike Nike

Surprising looking of cars

Post by Mike Nike » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:15 am

For the first time, in this case with version 0.86b, i had a strange bug, if it is one.

I pushed ALT-TAB and after some seconds i pushed it again to come back to the game...
The race was initialising then...and this appeared:
http://mikenike.csas.info/Cars_appeared ... bigger.jpg

The cars were 2 times bigger than normal. Strange...
Btw, although i got the fastest lap and won ;-).

Flexman

Re: Surprising looking of cars

Post by Flexman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:43 am

Mike Nike wrote:For the first time, in this case with version 0.86b, i had a strange bug, if it is one.

I pushed ALT-TAB and after some seconds i pushed it again to come back to the game...
This never seemed to work fine and it also doesn't with the new version. I don't know if this is a bug of Turbosliders or Windows, but the fact is that if you switch between Windows and Turbosliders with ALT+TAB then there often are problems.

Another think that might be fine is the possibility to scroll up the chat window so that you can read older comments in the game too.
Mike Nike wrote: The cars were 2 times bigger than normal. Strange...
Btw, although i got the fastest lap and won ;-).
For me also it seems that I drive better when the cars are bigger. :-)

Creator

Post by Creator » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:24 pm

Ande wrote:
Flexman wrote: The site http://jollygoodgames.com still doesn't work for him, and I guess so does the server.
Thank you for the info. I have informed Jollygood - there definitely shouldn't be any blocked IPs.
I notified our host. They claim all of the blocks should now be removed, finally.