Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Post by Ande » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:52 pm

Turbo Sliders has entered the final beta phase before
the actual release. Some people have received the beta
version and can now test it. Unfortunately, the others
must wait a little bit more to get hands on the new
version.

The purpose of this thread is to report bugs and problems
and give any other kind of feedback regarding the beta.
Note that a separate feature request thread has also
been opened for things that players might want to see
in the future versions.

If you make bug reports, please include relevant information
about your computer. You can also tell if reading the
troubleshooting document helped.

Guido

Re: Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Post by Guido » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:40 pm

Ande wrote:[...]
and give any other kind of feedback regarding the beta.
[...]
Hello!

I just recieved a Beta-account and want to say something about the game.
i will mention some aspects and will evalute them.

10 points is the best and 1 point is the worst :D

graphics 10p
nothing more to say: the graphics are really really nice.

sounds&music 8p
the ingame sound is fine and the music too. but sometimes a bit boring ;D

gameplay 9p
u can choose diffrent cars with diffrent handlings. each track and each skill requires another car.... thats good

trackdesign 10p
i like them! the tracks are great. from easy to hard with beautiful graphics.

fun 10p
you should get it as soon as it is released!!!
although im not a good driver, cause of having not enough time to play, i like it very very much !! :)
Everyone has to die. But ... how often?!

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:57 pm

One bug was already found:

When using an automatic server and pro mode, if a player has got disabled in any race, in the future, any race can be ended even if he or she has not finished that race yet.

This will of course be fixed in 1.00.

Guido

Post by Guido » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:00 pm

hm... maybe i was the person who was getting disabled?!
remember angryangel? hehe^^

tinqe

Post by tinqe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:12 pm

Well first of all. Thank you very much for taking me in to the beta test team.

First impressions:

That in game music hits a bit too loud to my ears. First thing to do (for me atleast) is to find a way to turn it off.

Let's change that resolution to ... 1280x1024 is max? That is NOT an 4:3 resolution. So I'll have to satisfy for 1024x768. Would be nice to race with 1600x1200...

So let's select that slider and off to the track I go. Nice graphics hit the screen and start lights go on and off and there I go... First corner...second... But wait. It feels like the good old slider BUT the car makes no sound at all. No engine sounds no nothing. "Lap record!" hits me when I finish the first lap.

So to the sound settings I go ... no can't fix it from here. And now when I scroll thorough the menu game says "Lap record!" all the time. Next try on the track gives me no sound at all but "Fastest lap time!" (It sounds like "Allest lest time!" to my ears. Always has. Not a problem.) Aww, now the menu says "Fastest lap time!" at every scroll. So this must be a bug or something to do with my integrated sound card.

Otherwise the game seems to be running very good. I even tried to start a server for a few times and race there by myself.

More betatesting tomorrow.

Comp specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
MSI K7N2 Delta-L with Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio (More info at http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ ... hp?UID=436 )
1GB 333MHz DDR ram
GeForce 4 ti4200 128Mb

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:33 pm

tinqe wrote: Let's change that resolution to ... 1280x1024 is max? That is NOT an 4:3 resolution. So I'll have to satisfy for 1024x768. Would be nice to race with 1600x1200...
You can in fact use any resolution if you use command line parameters -x and -y. Alpha blending may get quite slow in high resolutions, though, because of SDL library.

So this must be a bug or something to do with my integrated sound card.
It might also be a bug in the OpenAL drivers. The first thing to try would be to update your sound card drivers if they are not up-to-date.

You can also check if output.txt gives any hint on what might go wrong.

You could also try to run the game with command-line-parameter "-audiodevice DirectSound", "-audiodevice DirectSound3D"
and "-audiodevice MMSYSTEM". One way to do this is to create a shortcut of sliders.exe, then right-clicking to get the properties and adding the parameter to target.

trc

Post by trc » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:52 pm

I downloaded the beta, installed it and started it. The very first first impression was like "wow", when the intro screen popped out and the music started. But just after that, the biggest problem was releaved: it took over 11 seconds (yes, i counted it with a stop watch :P) to game to react to a keystroke! Sooo annoying. I was about to close the game with violence, but with Finnish sisu I managed to create a player and start the train-mode.

To the game itself: The track was loaded fast, and soon I was on the starting grid. It still looked like good old Turbo sliders, but with some chrome on it. The starting lights went off and I was on my way to the first corner. The graphics ran as smoothly as in the previous versions. (expect the very long tracks in the older versions).

After the first lap I also came to the conclusion that the controls are similar to the previous versions, which is a good thing.

But there where also some troubles with the game:

-The bottom 1/4 of the screen was just blank black. (I suppose there should be something?).

-When I made a lap record, the text telling about it appearing to the top of the screen was some unreadable mess.

-Every time when I crossed the finishing line, the game stopped for about 0.5s. Also annoying.

-Lap records were not shown at the end of the race when I tried to check them out (There was also that 11s keystroke lag, but with the cotinue-button there wasn't any lag(?).

So these were the problems I found with my first short testing period.

Oh, and my computer's specs (Yes, I know it is old and slow, but should be enough for a game like this):

Celeron 2 @ 675 mhz
384 RAM
Riva TNT 16
w2k pro
Last edited by trc on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:58 pm

I've tested this beta for some 1+ hours now, and so far found one thing that annoys me personally - nothing really serious: The graphics are otherwise very neat & improved dramatically, but right away from the first moments I was wondering about the color of the water in the tracks / maps. I thought for quite some while that ... I'm looking some arctic ice which is reaching the melting point. Dirty, greyish ice surface. And it turned out this wasn't the ice, but it's supposed to be water!

Am I the only one who feels disappointed with so ... depressing outlook of water? I truly hope it would get notably more blue, be it realistic or not. Not everything has to be realistic anyway. I know the bright deepish blue water color in old TS wasn't the best either, but even that was better than the "polar ice melting down" waterstyle.

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:04 pm

Oh and also big thanks from me too, for taking me into the beta'testing team!

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:26 pm

trc wrote:I downloaded the beta, installed it and started it. The very first first impression was like "wow", when the intro screen popped out and the music started. But just after that, the biggest problem was releaved: it took over 11 seconds (yes, i counted it with a stop watch :P) to game to react to a keystroke! Sooo annoying. I was about to close the game with violence, but with Finnish sisu I managed to create a player and start the train-mode.
It shouldn't of course take that much time - you should be able to move to menus as soon as you can see the intro screen. Do you have any idea what happens when the machine is not taking any input? Does it seem to be loading something?
-The bottom 1/4 of the screen was just blank black. (I suppose there should be something?).
Yes indeed there should :). Did you have any of these problems with the version 0.86? Have you changed any of the default graphical settings?
There should not be any dramatic changes. Could you try what happens if you run the game in windowed mode (non-full-screen) or in smaller resolution?

It may be that all these problems are caused by your video card of running out of memory. I can try to make an option to put as much as possible in normal memory instead of video memory to see if that helps.

About the delay when crossing finish line, did it happen _always_? I have noticed that in one machine, playing the fast lap sample seemed to take some extra time but only when it was played for the first time but not after that.
-Lap records were not shown at the end of the race when I tried to check them out (There was also that 11s keystroke lag, but with the cotinue-button there wasn't any lag(?).
You mean that there was no "Records" menu item in the race results?

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:50 am

It shouldn't of course take that much time - you should be able to move to menus as soon as you can see the intro screen. Do you have any idea what happens when the machine is not taking any input? Does it seem to be loading something?
Actually that isn't the problem, the problem is when I got to the menus, it takes 11 seconds to game to react my keystrokes. For example when I try to move from Train-option to Tracks-option, I press up arrow and after 11 seconds the Tracks-option will be highlighted... It wouldn't be annoying to watch the intro screen for few extra seconds, but this is. You have to admit :)

And no, it doesn't seem loading anything. And the CPU usage isn't high either.
Yes indeed there should :). Did you have any of these problems with the version 0.86? Have you changed any of the default graphical settings?
There should not be any dramatic changes. Could you try what happens if you run the game in windowed mode (non-full-screen) or in smaller resolution?
No problems with 0.86 at all. I haven't changed anything, just installed the game and ran it. Resolution is 640 x 480. Can I set it even lower? :P

And I was not able to run it windowed(?), it always will be run in full screen.

Here is a screenshot which shows what the game looks like for me. (Hope the following sshots in this post aren't top secret, feel free to edit my post, if so :P)

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~markusl/sliders/kuva3.jpg

It may be that all these problems are caused by your video card of running out of memory. I can try to make an option to put as much as possible in normal memory instead of video memory to see if that helps.

About the delay when crossing finish line, did it happen _always_? I have noticed that in one machine, playing the fast lap sample seemed to take some extra time but only when it was played for the first time but not after that.
The delay occurs every time I pass the finishing line.

[/quote]
You mean that there was no "Records" menu item in the race results?
Yes, there was that item, but it was empty. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~markusl/sliders/kuva.jpg

And another strange thing is the cup points-screen, which looks like this:

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~markusl/sliders/kuva2.jpg

Very informative, isn't it? :P

And there is only the icon of my car in the race results-screen, nothing else (forgot to take a sshot from it).

And here is a sshot from the "fastest lap"-notice

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~markusl/sliders/kuva5.jpg

Sometimes it may look little different, but not even close to readable.

And one more thing what I noticed: when I alt+tab to the window during a race, game slows down permanently to about 1 FPS until I end the race.

trc

Post by trc » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:55 am

Oops,

Forgot to log in. So I have one suggestion concerning the forum also: no posting without registeration/logging in :)

trc

Post by trc » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:07 am

And an another oops,

I forgot the existence of the -f 0-parametrer, and now the game starts windowed and all those problems what I mentioned before are gone :)

But it would be nice to run it fullscreen also..

Creator
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2

Post by Creator » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:31 am

trc wrote:Oops,

Forgot to log in. So I have one suggestion concerning the forum also: no posting without registeration/logging in :)
Yeah, I admit that it seems to be a problem that people forget to log in. Which is a little weird, given that "automatically login" is a default setting, but perhaps many of the posters are logging from work or public computers and don't one this option enabled...

As far as posting screenshots on this beta forum goes, that's fine. This is a beta group and the purpose is to help out fixing bugs. Granted, everyone can read this forum but I don't see it as a big problem. None of this stuff is really secret, but quite understandably we don't want to release the actual game to the public until issues like the ones you experience have been fixed...

Mike Nike
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mike Nike » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:17 am

@trc
Concerning your cup and racing stats: I think, it's like Ande said: your video card has not enough memory. In this case, it has no memory to load the font and does place instead such black rectangles. These rectangles also appear in the race stats and cup stats, but you don't see them, because their colors are equal to the background color. But the car color you see, because the car image you could load...

@Ande
1st found "bug":
If you type in chat and hold down a key, then it will be repeated.
That's actually a nice feature, but the time isn't long enough, where it appears...
Example: each 10th word, i write something like: "andd annother lappp rrecordd :-)". Often 2, sometimes 3 or 4 chars instead of 1.

2nd found "bug":
In the 3rd demotrack, "Minileap", it will often happen that players jump over the bridge and are landing too far left from the tree/bush after the crossing behind the jump. In this case they miss a checkline.

I'm going now to check each checkline in each track, like i promised :wink:

All checked...
No other wrong checklines...
But, if new (and very fast) cars will be created, maybe also in 1 other track, you can shortcut a curve with a very long jump and miss a checkline.

joevicentini
Community User Level: 1

Hello team

Post by joevicentini » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:20 am

First of all, thanks for letting me participate in the beta test team. I'm very glad that i've received this invitation. Thank you very much, and let me say the game got really better without losting its essence. Congratulations for your great work!! :D :D

I have played the game for like 1-2 hours today, and i have found no serious bug for now, but i've noticed some small things that i hope could be done to make the game more user friendly. Here they are:

1) An end race flag would be very useful, since it's not rare to see some folks stopping in the final lap because he/she thought the race was over. It happens sometimes when i race, and a simple flag or visual warning would terminate this problem. I know there is a last lap audio warning, but sometimes it isn't enough. Not everybody likes to play with sound.

2) I agree with Auek when he said the water is very white. And if you add this to the fact that when a car passes on the water the color of the water moved by the car is blue, it's very unrealistic and doesn't match the rest of the graphics in the game.

3) The write message line got really better, but there should be a way of getting a blank line fast when you press up to recover some old phrases you've typed and suddenly you give up and want to write something new. It's a real pain because you can't use the down key so you have to delete the entire phrase with backspace.

4) The flood detection mechanism is too sharp. Sometimes people are not flooding and get muted.

5) The Key Bindings Windows is the only settings window with the old set of characters. Why? It's out of keeping.

6) Pressing ESC in some menus should cancel the default action, not confirm it. It's very annoying to press ESC in local games and instead of asking me to confirm to abort the cup, it starts to load the next track.

7) When you have a lot of tracks stored in a lot of folders, is very dificult to visualize which tracks are selected and which are not, because you have to check every folder in your tracks/ directory. A simple way of getting this problem solved is to visualize all tracks in the same track selection window, preceded by its folder name. So, if i have 100 tracks in 8 folders, i would see the 100 track names in one window (with scroll of course), preceded by the folder name. Today we have the track selection window like this:

[..]
[My Tracks SubFolder 1] <--- a lot of tracks here, have to click to see
...................................... <----
[My Tracks SubFolder N] <---
Track1
Track2
Trackn

I hope the Track Window above get to be like this:

[..]
My Tracks SubFolder 1/TrackC <---- Now i can see every track
My Tracks SubFolder 1/TrackG
My Tracks SubFolder n/TrackP
/Track1
/Track2
/Trackn

That's everything for now. Thanks for your time.
Last edited by joevicentini on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

-TheRush-

Post by -TheRush- » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:52 pm

Thx 4 letting me test this 0.98 Beta version.
I played the game for about one hour and it really looks very nice overall.

The biggest problems for me to see was also the water that someone already mentioned - I also thought it was some frozen ice, looks more like ice than water unfortunately.
And The "hold-down" new key thing is cool but like Mike Nike said it repeats way too fast.

My biggest wish:
I would really love to see the Pu_F1,F2,F3 in this version, would be so nice :)[/b]

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:19 pm

I tested some "old" tracks with Punatiainen shortly some 1-2 hours ago - and the water looked really horrible with old tracks. Cause in those tracks you know how the tracks are supposed to look (some of em having lots of water) and now they looked like ice skating maps! :roll: Otherwise the old tracks looked actually much better than I expected - so thumbs up for that in general.

But the water really needs to be fixed, if you ask me.

joevicentini

Post by joevicentini » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:50 pm

I've already started doing the translation to brazillian portuguese, and i've noticed an english mistake on line 577:

shows server info test
should be
shows server info text
Last edited by joevicentini on Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:53 pm

joevicentini wrote:I've already started doing the translation to brazillian portuguese, and i've noticed an english mistake on line 577:
Thanks for finding out that :).

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:28 pm

Exactly :wink: , this line i found too, while playing the game, but ignored it :shock:
Well, i said some guys, i like the small retro look of old graphics. I haven't tested the old tracks yet, with water...but if the old tracks get the new water, that would be bad :(.
Although i knew the water screenshots of the newer versions before, it happened to me the following (also like to others):
As i drove on a track with water, i thought it was a kind of frozen see and drove on it and then i remembered, it's water^^.

Well, i don't want to vote against the new design, because you won't change it either, i guess...
But what should be changed, like it was said, is the "Smoke", when you drive over water. It's too dark blue/violet in comparison to the light looking new water. It's too unrealistic in this case.

Car spinner:
When i played with this car for first, and this was in an online race with The-Rush, he and i was surprised, the spinner was looking like driving backwards^^.
We both thought it was more a kind of trike.

And by the way, the speeder isn't looking anymore like an old car in F1-racings.
And overall, i have the feeling, the speeder is sliding a bit more...

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:39 pm

I tested the track editor for first time - created a small track with it, and the editor was working fine. I had no problems / bugs whatsoever with it. Not yet at least ;) Noticed also that you have to think different when using jumps (when there is a "landing jump section" too) cause the test track I made -> if doing a driving error in jump, not making it to the "other side", I had to go and re'drive the whole freakin' track from beginning ... ha! Not exactly the best kind of track ... :lol:

In any case - thumbs up for the editor, too.

joevicentini

Post by joevicentini » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:06 pm

I didn't understand what you mean in this phrase (line 744):

Check file permissions and that there is space on the drive

Is it correct? :?: "that" shouldn't be "if" ?

Pardon me if the phrase is correct, :oops:

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:51 pm

joevicentini wrote:I didn't understand what you mean in this phrase (line 744):

yub would agree :D

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:54 pm

joevicentini wrote:I didn't understand what you mean in this phrase (line 744):

It is trying to be shorthand of "Check file permissions, and check that there is space on the drive." Rephrasing may be needed, yes :).