Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Official News regarding Turbo Sliders.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:59 pm

Mike Nike wrote: And overall, i have the feeling, the speeder is sliding a bit more...
There are no changes in any of the car properties. All the lap times should be fully compatible with the old versions. It may be that the new graphics may make you think otherwise.

Flexman
Community User Level: 2

Re: Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Post by Flexman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:53 pm

My bug reports so far:
(- = bug, o = could be improved, + seems to be fixed)

First a comment: It seems that the game has different bugs on different computers. :-( There will still be a lot of work before the game works reliable. We tested it on 4 computers where 2 of them had different problems, one of them did not really work with the game.

So, ok here the list:

General:
o right and left are swapped in the key settings menu. In all other games it is the other way round
o z and y are swapped on the german keyboard when you are asked "abort the game?". In the chat it works fine

o If you turn the shadows off, there is no shadow when jumping, and you do not really see if you are in the air. Maybe these shadows should remain.
o Water looks like ice. Especially disturbing in old tracks
o scrolling in chat window would be fine
o more statistics in the race and cup stats
o possibility to enter team seperatly and also have statistics on it
o The Ramp. Maybe it should be like in Slicks'n'Slide where you can still drive on the ramp the other way round. Because now if you miss it you have to go back to the previous ramp. I also think the ramp does not really fit to the rest of the graphics, it looks somehow like it was pasted from a different game.
+ Swapping between windows and the game in fullscreen-mode with ALT+TAB seems to work better althoug windows still wants to move some objects on the desktop when i click on an icon after switching from the game to the desktop.
+ selecting car by mistake when writing into the chat seems to be more difficult now

Ok, but now the Problems:

My computer (1,4 Ghz, 64 MB Graphic i think):
+ everything fine
- couldn't change the track directory. But maybe it was only because you can't go up the directories.

My girlfriends Computer: Toshiba SP2100 Laptop (1,7 Ghz, 32 MB Nvidia):
- Umlauts äöü are missing in the Chat, you see a grey rectangle instead
- Scrolling is not really smooth although the computer is faster then mine

Gonzales (Celeron 500, 32 MB Graphic card):
- In the Turbosliders menu it takes about 5 secons if there is any reaction. In the Submenus it works better but in the Keys menu he only gets a black screen with the title "Keys". So he wasnt able to play the game in full scree mode. In windowed mode it worked. So the same problem already mentioned here.

- Server is not reachable! He couldnt reach the server (turboserver.org/s.php), neither he could access the site of jollygoodgames!! For accessing server and site he used a CGI-Proxy. This is very strange because I use the same provider and it worked.

- The CGI-Proxy makes the URL very long (e.g. http://xxx/nph-proxy.cgi/000000A/http/t ... .org/s.php). It is not able to enter a long URL in the Game, but you can paste it into the INI-File and it works.

Gonzales Laptop (266 Mhz, 8 MB Graphic):
+ game works fine although the computer is much slower than his other one
+ key problems where you couldn't move for about 2 seconds sometimes seem to be fixed
Last edited by Flexman on Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xzeal
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3

Post by xzeal » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:05 pm

Ok here is some feedback: (i believe it would be helpful since i got a slow machine)

with 450 mhz , 192 mb of RAM, a 4mb graphics card and W98 the game runs in 640x480 with 70% load, which was 65% with 0.86

After going over the editor i noticed that the new tiles couldn't be rotated, i suppose that was on purpose, but it was a bit annoying.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:33 pm

Mike Nike wrote: Well, i said some guys, i like the small retro look of old graphics. I haven't tested the old tracks yet, with water...but if the old tracks get the new water, that would be bad :(
I agree. There was not really a need to improve the graphics that much for me, but the thing with the ice... I already mentioned it before.
Car spinner:
When i played with this car for first, and this was in an online race with The-Rush, he and i was surprised, the spinner was looking like driving backwards^^.
True... It reminds me more on the motorbike in Slicks'n'Slide somehow.

Do you think the Spinner is competitive to the Antislider in smaller tracks?

Creator

Post by Creator » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:27 am

Flexman wrote:o Water looks like ice. Especially disturbing in old tracks
Seems like we'll need to do something about the water... ;)
- Server is not reachable! He couldnt reach the server (turboserver.org/s.php), neither he could access the site of jollygoodgames!! For accessing server and site he used a CGI-Proxy. This is very strange because I use the same provider and it worked.
We're working with our host to resolve the reachability issues.

Creator

Post by Creator » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:14 am

Flexman wrote:Gonzales (Celeron 500, 32 MB Graphic card):
Update: Certain ip ranges that were previously blocked have now been enabled by our host.

Please ask your friend to test again. If he is still unable to access Jollygood Games or the TS master server, please email me the ip address he is at (to support@jollygoodgames.com).

Everyone: if you know of anyone who has had problems connecting to Jollygood Games website or the TS master server, please ask them to retry and if there are any problems, let us know the IP addresses that are having problems connecting.

Mike Nike
Community User Level: 5

Post by Mike Nike » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:17 am

Race Stats/Cup Stats/Lap time inrace - Bug:

If you choose black or an equal color as car color then you can't see your entry in the race and cup statistics. In addition to this, the playername won't be shown in the race.

Edit:
Sorry, i was wrong.
The bug is, like in version 0.86, just in the race, when you look at the lapnumber and the last lap time. If your car color is black, then you don't see your name...

In cup stats, you just don't see your rectangle, if you have a total black car color...
You just don't see your name etc. in race and cup statistics, when the font was not loaded in the memory.
Last edited by Mike Nike on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:57 am

Mike Nike wrote:Race Stats/Cup Stats/Lap time inrace - Bug:

If you choose black or an equal color as car color then you can't see your entry in the race and cup statistics. In addition to this, the playername won't be shown in the race.
Yes, player name is not very visible in the race, I will fix that. But I can see the entries in race and cup statistics. Do you mean that the color box beside the name is hard to see? If not, a screenshot would help :).

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:13 am

Some sort of request came to my mind from testing the track editor: If it's possible, it would be nice if you could set the vertical / horizontal size of tracks you are creating so that while changing the horizontal size, the vertical remains unchanged, or the opposite. Making it possible to do "perfect square" tracks (for example 1000 * 1000) or tracks that are very wide but vertical size is small (2000*480), or the opposite, vertical tracks (480*2000) etc.

I think it affects surprisingly much, if you are after getting some (more than little) varying & interesting tracks done; the fact that there would be more choices for "track shapes" mapwise, so to speak.

Speculation about jumps: Someone already stated that the "landing area jumps" should be perhaps driveable - that when you dont make the long enough jump, and land too short -> you could still drive on, thru the "landing area" jump. But ... the "landing area" jumps should have short & steep uphill so that the short jump would be punished somehow. The "wall punishment" is quite ... radical? (Not to mention that it makes some limitations for creating tracks too - now there has to be space to drive past the landing area jumps from the sideways.)

EDIT: And with that above jumptalk I of course was talking only about the kind of jumps where there is the landing section included. If there is no landing section, then there is no problem either ;)
Last edited by Aeuk on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opsi

Post by Opsi » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:23 am

I don't know if this is a bug or what, but if you press "esc" right after the race has ended (when the crowd is still cheering), those "cheers" are looping for a while which is quite annoying.

This is not a bug, but I think you should disable binding keys to esc, because you are not able to use that key anyway :) (well of course you are, but then game will end)
Slider is the only way...

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:37 pm

About prorules.

When a car collides with another (if its a lap behind) prorules "locks" the car. This is great but one thing that would be even greater is if this care who gets "locked" would be transfered of the track. Because it's annoying if that "locked" car is still there and you drive in to it lap after lap. Either put the car on the side of the track or just make it vanish.

And another thing about the prorules. When a car comes to far behind and collide with another it will be "locked", just as described above. Isn't this weird when somebody drives more slow than youself and you drive pass him and he's one lap behind and you drive into him. Then he's disqaulified. Howcome? Those who drives a bit slower then the others should not be disqualified for it. What do you think?

tinqe

Post by tinqe » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:34 pm

You can in fact use any resolution if you use command line parameters -x and -y. Alpha blending may get quite slow in high resolutions, though, because of SDL library.
It might also be a bug in the OpenAL drivers. The first thing to try would be to update your sound card drivers if they are not up-to-date.

You can also check if output.txt gives any hint on what might go wrong.

You could also try to run the game with command-line-parameter "-audiodevice DirectSound", "-audiodevice DirectSound3D"
and "-audiodevice MMSYSTEM". One way to do this is to create a shortcut of sliders.exe, then right-clicking to get the properties and adding the parameter to target.
\Turbo Sliders\sliders.exe" -audiodevice DirectSound -x 1600 -y 1200 works fine. Thank you. :wink:

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:27 pm

gstedt wrote:About prorules.
Isn't this weird when somebody drives more slow than youself and you drive pass him and he's one lap behind and you drive into him. Then he's disqaulified. Howcome? Those who drives a bit slower then the others should not be disqualified for it. What do you think?
Getting disabled cars out of way would be good, yes. But the mode is called "pro mode" exactly because pros don't get lapped by other players ;).

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:03 pm

Ande wrote:Getting disabled cars out of way would be good, yes. But the mode is called "pro mode" exactly because pros don't get lapped by other players ;).
hehe.. yes, but they who get lapped shouldn't be disqualified. I think that only those who just collide for fun should be disqualiefied. Couldn't they change the code to "if you cheat (miss cheackpoints) and collide, then disqualified" Now it's only "if you are far from your opponents and collide you'll be disqualified" this is not smart though players who being lapped are disqualified.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:05 pm

gstedt wrote: hehe.. yes, but they who get lapped shouldn't be disqualified. I think that only those who just collide for fun should be disqualiefied. Couldn't they change the code to "if you cheat (miss cheackpoints) and collide, then disqualified" Now it's only "if you are far from your opponents and collide you'll be disqualified" this is not smart though players who being lapped are disqualified.
The problem is that there is no easy way to code that "if you cheat and collide" :). Anyway, if someone has been lapped, it is up to that person to be sure not to disturb the others and if they do, they get punished (in the pro mode).

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: Hello team

Post by Ande » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:12 pm

I forgot to comment these earlier:
joevicentini wrote: 3) The write message line got really better, but there should be a way of getting a blank line fast when you press up to recover some old phrases you've typed and suddenly you give up and want to write something new. It's a real pain because you can't use the down key so you have to delete the entire phrase with backspace.
I have a pleasant surprise for you: shift+backspace! :)
5) The Key Bindings Windows is the only settings window with the old set of characters. Why? It's out of keeping.
It has always used the smallest font so that the screen would not have to be scrolled.
6) Pressing ESC in some menus should cancel the default action, not confirm it. It's very annoying to press ESC in local games and instead of asking me to confirm to abort the cup, it starts to load the next track.
That could be true, yes. But many people, including me, have are already used to hitting esc serveral times to proceed instead of exiting. I will think about this..:)

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:14 pm

Ande wrote: The problem is that there is no easy way to code that "if you cheat and collide" :). Anyway, if someone has been lapped, it is up to that person to be sure not to disturb the others and if they do, they get punished (in the pro mode).
But that can be hard. The people behind you can drive into you and make you disqualified. So if someone "laps" a person he/she can collide with this person and make him disqualified. This is weird. There must be some way to make this rule work better.

Kobradog
Community User Level: 1

Post by Kobradog » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:00 pm

gstedt wrote:But that can be hard. The people behind you can drive into you and make you disqualified. So if someone "laps" a person he/she can collide with this person and make him disqualified. This is weird. There must be some way to make this rule work better.
Psssst... This is top secret information, so don't go spreading it around: the "pros" try hard not to crash into anything (and that's why they are so fast).

I think the drivers who are afraid of the evil overlapping and crashing pros (:wink:) will be better off driving on the normal mode servers then.

I just can't see this becoming a big problem.

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:06 pm

Kobradog wrote: I think the drivers who are afraid of the evil overlapping and crashing pros (:wink:) will be better off driving on the normal mode servers then.

I just can't see this becoming a big problem.

Yes, but I usually lap others and when I do this I usually bump into them. It sucks for those who can't drive that good.

Kobradog

Post by Kobradog » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:50 pm

gstedt wrote:Yes, but I usually lap others and when I do this I usually bump into them. It sucks for those who can't drive that good.
Mmmkay. Can you then please explain, what are those who can't drive that good doing on a PRO MODE server in the first place? Why aren't they racing on the "normal mode" servers first and honing their driving skills there until they are "pro" enough to join the pro servers?

(I wouldn't fight Mike Tyson the day I get my first pair of boxing gloves. In fact, I wouldn't fight Mike Tyson, period. I'm all about love & peace. Until somebody backdrives, that is.)
Last edited by Kobradog on Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:59 pm

Kobradog wrote:Mmmkay. Can you then please explain, what are those who can't drive that good doing on a PRO MODE server in the first place? Why aren't they racing on the "normal mode" servers first and honing their driving skills there until they are "pro" enough to join the pro servers?
Yes, but the best thing with promode is that it disqualifies all cheaters and "colliders". It should be three modes then. One normal, promode, and one that only disqualifies if you cheat and collide

Kobradog

Post by Kobradog » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:17 pm

gstedt wrote:One normal, promode, and one that only disqualifies if you cheat and collide
But as Ande said "there is no easy way to code" the last one. And there already is a mode that does (almost) that: ghost racing. (My personal favorite. I don't like them c-laps.)

I think there will be enough normal mode servers with active admins, who will kick/ban the colliders soon enough.
Last edited by Kobradog on Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joevicentini

Post by joevicentini » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:19 pm

And another thing about the prorules. When a car comes to far behind and collide with another it will be "locked", just as described above. Isn't this weird when somebody drives more slow than youself and you drive pass him and he's one lap behind and you drive into him. Then he's disqaulified. Howcome? Those who drives a bit slower then the others should not be disqualified for it. What do you think?
I don't think so. I think lapped players have the obligation to open way so the leading players can pass. It they are hit, it's their fault anyway, it just means they didn't open enough.

Players turtle walking can ruin the result of a race the same way those freaks driving backwards do, because some of them don't have the brains to realize that you're not disputing position with them. Some lapped players try irrationaly to hold you at his back as much as possible, even taking you off the road.. So this rule will teach them to stay out of the way. 8)

But since lapped players are more likely to be newbies, it's possible that they get confused with this rule or think it's unfair and lose interest in the game from the start. This is specially bad for Ande because he can lose crews of people who would be addicted to the game ibecause they didn't have a chance to see how cool the game is.

A solution to this potential problem might be to give visual warnings to lapped players indicating which cars that are to pass them by can't be hit.
Last edited by joevicentini on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:00 pm

joevicentini wrote: I don't think so. I think lapped players have the obligation to open way so the leading players can pass. It they are hit, it's their fault anyway, it just means they didn't open enough.
Yes, but even of they open way the ones who's about to pass them can drive into them and make the lapped disqualified.. which is wrong.

Is it ok if I take som screenshoots and show to others who don't have the beta?

Mike Nike

Post by Mike Nike » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:32 pm

A solution to this potential might be to give visual warnings to lapped players indicating which cars that are to pass them by can't be hit.
That might be a good idea.
Example code for Ande:
If FastPlayer.Laps>SlowPlayer.Laps then
If FastPlayer.LastCheckpoint=SlowPlayer.LastCheckpoint then
If FastPlayer.LastCheckpointTime<SlowPlayer.LastCheckpointTime+2000 then
# In this case, the fast player is less than 2 seconds behind the slow player, which will be lapped.
In this case a blue flag can appear over the car of the slow player.

Btw: Ande, look at my post concerning the race stats bug...i was a bit wrong there and edited it.