Turbo Sliders 0.98 Beta Thread

Official News regarding Turbo Sliders.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:38 pm

Mike Nike wrote: That might be a good idea.
Example code for Ande:
If FastPlayer.Laps>SlowPlayer.Laps then
If FastPlayer.LastCheckpoint=SlowPlayer.LastCheckpoint then
If FastPlayer.LastCheckpointTime<SlowPlayer.LastCheckpointTime+2000 then
# In this case, the fast player is less than 2 seconds behind the slow player, which will be lapped.
In this case a blue flag can appear over the car of the slow player.
Yes, somehow showing which cars will disable would be a good feature, I will add it to TODO list.

I am currently trying to sort out those some rare technical graphics and audio issues some people have had, so I am not sure if any of these new features will actually make it in the 1.00.

Creator
Community User Level: 2

Post by Creator » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:10 pm

gstedt wrote:
joevicentini wrote: I don't think so. I think lapped players have the obligation to open way so the leading players can pass. It they are hit, it's their fault anyway, it just means they didn't open enough.
Yes, but even of they open way the ones who's about to pass them can drive into them and make the lapped disqualified.. which is wrong.

Is it ok if I take som screenshoots and show to others who don't have the beta?
It is ok to post screenshots here to help fix bugs. As for posting screenshots anywhere else, please try to be careful for now as certain things (such as the water) may still change before the final version and we especially don't want to show any screenshots with bugs to too many people, as Antti is currently working hard fixing all the issues that have been found. Of course, the TS page at Jollygood Games has bunch of screenshots so it's not exactly a secret what the new version looks like...

gstedt

Post by gstedt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm

Creator wrote:
It is ok to post screenshots here to help fix bugs. As for posting screenshots anywhere else, please try to be careful for now as certain things (such as the water) may still change before the final version and we especially don't want to show any screenshots with bugs to too many people, as Antti is currently working hard fixing all the issues that have been found. Of course, the TS page at Jollygood Games has bunch of screenshots so it's not exactly a secret what the new version looks like...
OK. But if I show them pictures on the water, I'll tell them at the sam time that this is only a beta-version. They have to understand that a game is not perfect in a beta-state. But I should be carefull shooting water then ;)

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:06 am

Aeuk wrote: Speculation about jumps: Someone already stated that the "landing area jumps" should be perhaps driveable - that when you dont make the long enough jump, and land too short -> you could still drive on, thru the "landing area" jump.
Guess it was me. Yes, I'd suggest to make the ramps like they are in games like Slicks'n'Slide or 4x4 Offroad racing.

Some other comments I have to make:

It's still a problem to swith between windows and Turbosliders with ALT+TAB. Turbosiders won't appear immediately and the other way round if you click on the desktop everything is marked. Don't know if this is a windows bug or if this can be fixed in Turbosliders.

And I still think that the game should run on older graphic hardware.

Creator

Post by Creator » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:11 am

Flexman wrote: And I still think that the game should run on older graphic hardware.
Could you explain what you mean by this? Older than what? As far as I know the game runs fine (especially after some bug fixing by Antti) on some really old graphics cards. The problem with very old cards is that they usually tend to have poor driver support so things may break for no obvious reason. If you have an old (or new, for that matter) graphics card that runs most of the other games perfectly but has problems with TS, please let us know! Remember to tell us what computer configuration you have.

Respekt
Community User Level: 1

Post by Respekt » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:04 am

besides the small glitches allready mentioned, everything is cool... i'm sold.

great work so far Ande

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:31 am

This might have been explained etc already, but just in case:
xzeal wrote:After going over the editor i noticed that the new tiles couldn't be rotated, i suppose that was on purpose, but it was a bit annoying.
It's just with certain new tiles, that you can't rotate em (mainly obstacles I think). Most of the tiles can be rotated just like before.

EDIT: Those obstacles that can't be rotated (like the houses for example) - why is it actually that those can't be rotated? (just curious).

I like the fact that there are now loads of different obstacles to choose from, numerous different houses, rocks, bushes, etc - but if they could also be rotated like common building blocks, then there would be endless possibilities for creating unique backgrounds, so to speak.

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:15 am

Aeuk wrote: EDIT: Those obstacles that can't be rotated (like the houses for example) - why is it actually that those can't be rotated? (just curious).
The reason is that those obstacles have a precalculated lighting. Shadows would look quite odd if they were going to different directions in every object.

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:35 am

Ohh ... of course. Pretty simple reason after all :)

Froz

Playtrix TurboSlider 0.98Beta server

Post by Froz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:31 am

hello!

i just started ptx - 098beta server... all demo version owners are welcome to test it :)
i didn't do very much manual reading :roll: , so if settings suck, please inform me.

admin mode rockS! 8) :wink:

edit: needs registering now(not in demo mode anymore), all tracks added.

-F-
Last edited by Froz on Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:33 am

Aeuk wrote:It's just with certain new tiles, that you can't rotate em (mainly obstacles I think). Most of the tiles can be rotated just like before.
Especially parts 1304-1333 should be rotateable...

One thing I'd like to have improved in the editor: It should somehow be possible to move the parts with the cursor keys too. Because if you have to hit the pixels exactly it is often very difficult with the mouse. So if Alt+Cursor could move the part 1 pixel in any direction that would be fine.

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:21 pm

Flexman wrote:One thing I'd like to have improved in the editor: It should somehow be possible to move the parts with the cursor keys too. Because if you have to hit the pixels exactly it is often very difficult with the mouse. So if Alt+Cursor could move the part 1 pixel in any direction that would be fine.
That sounds like a good idea to me, too.

freek

Post by freek » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Looks very very good. One easy thing though:

The default engine volume is way too low. I turned up my speakers' volume to hear my car, but then I got blasted away by the final-lap sound. I know I can easily tweak it in the audio-section, but it would be nice of course if the default setting was excellent....

Have only played the game for like 15 minutes now, but it looks awesome, great job!
Formerly known as [fok!]wasq

Ande
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Ande » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:18 pm

freek wrote: The default engine volume is way too low. I turned up my speakers' volume to hear my car, but then I got blasted away by the final-lap sound. I know I can easily tweak it in the audio-section, but it would be nice of course if the default setting was excellent....
!
I have noticed that for some reason, how loud the engine samples are seems depend on the machine. So different cards play them slightly differently. But it might be good to add the default volume, though.

Mike Nike
Community User Level: 5

ALT-TAB bug

Post by Mike Nike » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:01 pm

I'm not sure, if it was found yet...

Situation Online Racing, Chat...
1. I push ALT-TAB
2. The other players are chatting
3. I come back with pushing ALT-TAB

Bug: now i don't see the written lines. They appear in black color or transparent, don't remember...
But i neither know who wrote a line or what he/she wrote.

In version 0.86 the bug wasn't there.

My graphic card has/should have actually enough video memory...
A lower Geforce4...

joevicentini

Post by joevicentini » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:17 pm

One more thing:

In Audio Settings, when I press "Reset to Defaults", the first option, "Audio On", don't get reseted. Was that on purpose?

ShraKK

Post by ShraKK » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:42 pm

found _my_ first bug (imo not important):
If i want to exit the editor the arrow of the mouse will be shown many times...doesn't know to describe -> screenshot
http://homepages.at/shrakk/editexit.jpg
This happens only after the _commandline_ editor
If i start directly the editor from windows there is no exit_bug_.
But if i start the editor via mouseclick (not via commandline) sometimes some tiles will be set one pixel away (like i want something at 150,150 -> after i click this tile is at 150,151 (it's shifted only horizontal)

and btw ( i know, it doesn't fit in this thread) my _first_ testmap->
http://homepages.at/shrakk/test.zip

Mike Nike

Making new tracks

Post by Mike Nike » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:38 am

Question to Ande (all track makers should read this):
Many mapmakers, potiential track editor testers, are creating new tracks with 0.98b. Should they just test it or may they also create so many new tracks how they want to?

What i mean is...
When there will be a release of the editor and TS, will this editor/TS still allow these tracks from 0.98b?
I don't want that track makers are investing now time for tracks, which can't be driven later...

Creator

Re: Making new tracks

Post by Creator » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:04 am

Mike Nike wrote:Question to Ande (all track makers should read this):
Many mapmakers, potiential track editor testers, are creating new tracks with 0.98b. Should they just test it or may they also create so many new tracks how they want to?

What i mean is...
When there will be a release of the editor and TS, will this editor/TS still allow these tracks from 0.98b?
I don't want that track makers are investing now time for tracks, which can't be driven later...
I'm sure Ande will have his say on this too, but the intent is to have the new version compatible with all the previous tracks out there, and this includes the the ones created with this beta version, at least in theory.

However, as this is a beta version, there may be issues if things need to change between this version and the final release. Ande will be able to tell you the likelihood of this happening, but I would like everyone to keep in mind this is beta version and everything is subject to change without notice...

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:39 am

ShraKK wrote:This happens only after the commandline editor
If i start directly the editor from windows there is no exit_bug_.
But if i start the editor via mouseclick (not via commandline) sometimes some tiles will be set one pixel away (like i want something at 150,150 -> after i click this tile is at 150,151 (it's shifted only horizontal)
That reminded me of what I wrote / hoped earlier, that there should be option to freely choose horizontal / vertical figures in the windows track editor launcher, too. I know I can make what size I want, thru dos, and that would be no problem really, but ... I was thinking about ppl playing the game & creating maps in general. Not all ppl wanna go starting the track editor from dos, no matter what extra they could got that way (parameters). I personally, tend to be nowadays so lazy that yeah, sure - I'd rather prefer the needed settings to be all in launcher, so that I wouldn't have to go to do and tweak parameters, launch the editor thru dos, to achieve what I want.

:roll:

I myself havent made more than one small test track with the beta, and now that what Mike Nike mentioned - I think I'll stay in making just test tracks with beta version, just in case if they won't work in future (or don't have all the same options / things etc than in version 1.00).

joevicentini

Post by joevicentini » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:47 am

ShraKK wrote: and btw ( i know, it doesn't fit in this thread) my _first_ testmap->
Very good track. I'm wondering if we have any chances of having our test tracks released within the official version, as official tracks.

I would be glad to work on 1 or 2 tracks to send for evaluation. :D

Aeuk

Post by Aeuk » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:19 am

joevicentini wrote:
ShraKK wrote: and btw ( i know, it doesn't fit in this thread) my _first_ testmap->
Very good track. I'm wondering if we have any chances of having our test tracks released within the official version, as official tracks.

If (if) the beta version tracks would work perfectly with version 1.0, then ... well, I'd be happy to create 1-2 tracks too, but you could bet they would not be just "test tracks" then, but done as good as possible ... 8)

More (good) tracks to the actual v1.0, wouldn't it be good for the game itself also?

IF there is any need for such contribution, I'd be more than glad to "help" too ;)

As a sidenote, I've been testing the game daily, more or less - and I've still had no real problems / bugs at all.
Last edited by Aeuk on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punatiainen

Post by Punatiainen » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:38 am

Okay, i have made some testing with trackmaking and everything seems to be working fine.

I have made one track, but i will need to change it slightly though, one object seems to be couple of pixels in wrong place, causing the possibility of getting trapped after unsuccesful jump :)

www.koti.mbnet.fi/punatia/Tracks/Bigjump.zip

I succesfully made the starting grid in 135 angle, it can be made in any angle now, which is great.

Also i added the superterrain, which works fine too. I also tested the modifying of existing terrains, all works fine and no extra files needed.

The random-car mode is great and equal to all players. It is the best way to figure out, who is the best player in town :)

I tested Pu-F3 and old tracks, everything works fine.

Flexman

Post by Flexman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 pm

Aeuk wrote:
joevicentini wrote:

If (if?) the beta version tracks would work perfectly with version 1.0, then ... well, I'd be happy to create 1-2 tracks too
I also created a track now, it's at http://404.tin.at/upload/track1f.zip. I hope the check points are fine, especially if you drive at the edge but it worked so far.

Serpent

Post by Serpent » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:16 pm

Ave.

And thanks for letting me (as well as other "registered" drivers from Metal Sliders Finland) to participate in beta testing new version of Turbo Sliders.

I've been playing this 0.98 for a few hours (a couple of nights, really) now and even though I've been trying to find out some bugs or other misbehavior, I have not succeeded. In other words, no glitches in graphics or sound, no problems in controls, loading or anything. Everything seems to work (nearly) perfectly.

I am also very pleased with the new graphics (even the water doesn't bother me) not to mention 3D elements like jumps and tunnels and so forth. Also the new tracks are better than the old ones and I'm glad that there are both long and short tracks, too.

However, I would suggest some improvements for the line commands on the "lobby" screen, since it would make more easy to admin the game once there without restarting the server. For example, I noticed that names are case sensitive which make it slower to type them and also some sort of tab completion (like in some IRC client programs) would be nice, if possible.

But other than that I find no problems whatsoever. If I shall find any bugs in our cup games, I'll be sure to bring them to your attentiong.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

- Serpent -