It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 am

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 7:53 pm

In this thread, you can give suggestions on what features
to include in future Turbo Sliders versions.

To get things started, here are possible things that _might_
be implemented some day in the future:

- Recording races
- More statistics
- Support for automatic server scripts
- Pit stops, gas
- Campaign mode with car tuning or upgrades
- AI drivers, single player campaign
- Arcade mode (powerups, oil slicks etc.)
- More support for Punaball and other ball game modifications
- Tank fight modification (no racing, just fighting)
- Linux version
- IPv6 support

Guido

languages

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 8:43 pm

maybe it is possible to include more languages? like french or german
this would be an useful upgrade ;)
Everyone has to die. But ... how often?!

Creator

Community User Level: 2

Re: languages

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 9:02 pm

Guido wrote:maybe it is possible to include more languages? like french or german
this would be an useful upgrade ;)

We'll release a French version at some point. German and other language versions are possible if anyone wants to volunteer to translate the texts...

Guido

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 9:20 pm

hm well ...
if someone would give me the english texts to translate it would be no problem... :)
Everyone has to die. But ... how often?!

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 9:57 pm

Guido wrote:hm well ...
if someone would give me the english texts to translate it would be no problem... :)

There is README-lang.txt in the lang directory which helps. Basically all you need to do is to copy English.lng to a new file and then translate every line in it (more than you might expect). And of course, test a lot :).

If people start translating the texts (other people have expressed intrest in this, too), it might be good to mention it here or start a translation thread so that not many people translate the same languages...
Last edited by Ande on Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creator

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 10:28 pm

Ande wrote:
Guido wrote:hm well ...

There is README-lang.txt in the lang directory which helps. Basically all you need to do is to copy English.txt to a new file and then translate every line in it (more than you might expect). And of course, test a lot :).

If people start translating the texts (other people have expressed intrest in this, too), it might be good to mention it here or start a translation thread so that not many people translate the same languages...

Yeah, ok, I was a little careless with my statement... so please if you wish to translate the game to any language please contact us first! I'm creating a new discussion topic for translations. As a feature request, let's consider translations noted, no need to post further replies in this topic. Thanks! ;)

KiKiA

Dutch translation

PostFri Nov 12, 2004 10:39 pm

Hi all! :)

I am working on a Dutch translation, wich should be ready in a few days. So if you are planning to do a Dutch translation yourself; I'm already working on one ;)

Bye!

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 12:59 am

Hi
I've noticed one thing in the beta (that i wish for one of the following versions):
Is it possible to set the starting grid (in the editor) not only in the direction bottom or right?
And maybe the ramps/bridges (the new 3D-things) could also be build diagonally.

ShraKK

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 1:16 am

:oops: oops the guest above was me.
Hate to setup a clean windows and every settings are gone

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 8:54 am

Hi
I've noticed one thing in the beta (that i wish for one of the following versions):
Is it possible to set the starting grid (in the editor) not only in the direction bottom or right?

Actually, there is an undocumented feature that you can add "StartDirection xxx" to the .trk file with a track editor and it should work :). Problem with non-standard starting grids is that the starting line has to be diagonal or vertical . But at least you can use left and up.

Kobradog

Community User Level: 1

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 10:03 am

It would be nice to have an user-definable extra/alternative button for confirming car selections that would disable the default confirmation keys (acceleration & braking).

I use AS,. for driving so the fear of accidentally selecting a wrong car seriously cramps my style in the chat. :D

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Kobradog wrote:I use AS,. for driving so the fear of accidentally selecting a wrong car seriously cramps my style in the chat. :D

There is one thing in the new version that might help already. You cannot make the car selection during the first second or so. So, if you are not too focused on the keyboard, there is good chance that you have time to notice that the car selection has started before it is too late :).

Kobradog

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 2:50 pm

Ande wrote:There is one thing in the new version that might help already. You cannot make the car selection during the first second or so.

Sweet, that will indeed take care of the problem. :)

(By the way, how exactly does the "StartDirection xxx" work? Should the xxx's be the direction as numbers or as text? And where does it go in the .trk file? I tested it quite a bit & didn't get it to work.)
Last edited by Kobradog on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 2:54 pm

Kobradog wrote:(By the way, how exactly does the "StartingDirection xxx" work? Should the xxx's be the direction as numbers or as text? And where does it go in the .trk file? I tested it quite a bit & didn't get it to work.)

xxx is direction in degrees, so it is something between 0 and 359. Don't remember how it goes exactly and if it does not seem to work, it may be broken :). You can put it for example before the LightMap row.

Kobradog

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 6:44 pm

Oops, sorry. :oops:

I just realized it was the NEW beta you guys were talking about. Not 0.86b. Serious case of headlag today.

xzeal

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Nov 13, 2004 11:11 pm

i would still like to be able to create bigger tracks witht the editor. 2000x2000 isn't always enough. I would like 4000x4000, 4 times bigger then now would satisfy my needs :)

Jazzyclub

PostSun Nov 14, 2004 2:21 am

for me this:
- Recording races (a little file for replay, not .avi)
- Pit stops, gas
- Campaign mode with car tuning or upgrades
- AI drivers, single player campaign
- Arcade mode (powerups, oil slicks etc.)
- Tank fight modification (no racing, just fighting)

IPv6 support <---- what this is?

PS: and a new game but some track in the city for TAKE A FLAG

Jazzyclub

PostSun Nov 14, 2004 2:25 am

Oh and a car creator with some piece like LEGO to built a car hihihi no? is pretty!! :P

Carlei

PostSun Nov 14, 2004 1:57 pm

In single player mode it could be nice to have a ghost lap, so you can drive directly against your own best time on that track :)

Mike Nike

Community User Level: 5

Community User Level: 5

PostSun Nov 14, 2004 5:33 pm

In single player mode it could be nice to have a ghost lap, so you can drive directly against your own best time on that track

If Ande makes a release with the possibility to record laps and/or races, then he can maybe also include this kind of race.
Indeed, it (Time Attack) would be a nice feature.

Flexman

Re: Turbo Sliders Feature Requests

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 8:37 am

Ande wrote:In this thread, you can give suggestions on what features
to include in future Turbo Sliders versions.

One thing I'd like to have improved in the editor: It should somehow be possible to move the parts with the cursor keys too. Because if you have to hit the pixels exactly it is often very difficult with the mouse. So if Alt+Cursor could move the part 1 pixel in any direction that would be fine.

Also the straw bumps like in Slicks'n'Slide would be fine.

And the main thing: A better local multiplayer mode. Either that you can randomized select only tracks that fit to the screen or some kind of splitscreen. But now if more people on a local computer race on a track like Monza66, it's an ants race then.

Amnesiac

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 12:13 pm

He wants Ande to include a "vote kick" feature, which should enable kicking of annoying players if a majority (or 80% as he said) of the other players issue a special command like "kick playername".

http://jollygoodgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

This feature is the most important.
Please include it in version 1.0

Jazzyclub

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 2:02 pm

for me this is a problem, what? when you pass under the bridge, if you hurt here you take 5 minute to exit from it :lol: , i think "if is possible" when someone pass under the bridge, take the bridge 20% trasparent....

gstedt

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 3:26 pm

Jazzyclub wrote:for me this is a problem, what? when you pass under the bridge, if you hurt here you take 5 minute to exit from it :lol: , i think "if is possible" when someone pass under the bridge, take the bridge 20% trasparent....

Yes, that's true. Transparent when driving against others on server and just an arrow that appears when driving many players on one computer (local)

Ande

Game Developer

Game Developer

PostMon Nov 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Amnesiac wrote:
He wants Ande to include a "vote kick" feature, which should enable kicking of annoying players if a majority (or 80% as he said) of the other players issue a special command like "kick playername".

This feature is the most important.
Please include it in version 1.0

I don't think it will make it in the 1.0. There are already two things that should help the problems with earlier versions. First, remote admin possibility makes it possible to kick players. If server admins decide, they can give the rights to several people. In addition to this, pro mode should help, too.

Votekicking could be abused if lots of troublemakers decide to kick someone out. It is hard to say what would be a reasonable amount of votes to actually kick/ban someone. But anyway, I think that MikeNike's tool can do votekicking if that is wanted.

But maybe in future versions...:)
Next

Return to Suggestions