GPOR F1 Open Season 6

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

GPOR F1 Open Season 6

Post by dede » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:31 pm

GPOR F1 Open Season 6 is now officially open, with full statistics available at gpor website!
This season will be longer than previous ones, so it will last more than one month.
There is a new car (TSE-F1beta) which have been developed during the last two months by the European community. Handling changes a bit from GPOR-Form1: lower acceleration, faster top speed, better steering and braking, new image, new sound, new pattern file. Suggestions to improve this car are welcome, but only after you drove it for long enough (you have to get used to the car before giving any feedback, especially if you were used to GPOR-Form1). This car (or a similar one) will be used for September's F1 League, so GPOR F1 Open Season 6 is meant to be a training and test season for those who want to join that competition :)

Remember to download the trackpack, if you didn't join Season 5.

Tracks: download pack - same as Season 5 (Indy removed)
Car: TSE-F1beta
Laps: depending by track lenght
Fuel: Yes
Damage: Yes
CanChangeStartFuel: Yes
Ghost: No
Promode: Yes (lapped cars get disabled when hitting leaders) - administrators are invited to disable promode when they are in the server
Startmode: Random (random waiting before lights switch off)
Start Order: fastest lap

Please note that it's very important to behave and respect fairplay rules:
- do not push or block on purpose
- do not hit other cars in the pitlane
- driving backwards is punished with immediate ban (administrators might decide to ban people for several cups)
- do give way to leaders, when being lapped
- give way if you make mistakes: don't steal speed from cars coming from behind

Note to administrators:
- it's very important to drive with real nickname, so please don't use double nicknames to this server
- remember to give warnings to newbies before banning them
- if server is locked because of organized cup going on, administrators aren't allowed to unlock it before cup is finished (I recommend to ask to me before unlocking the server)

User avatar
Whiplash
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Bosnia

Post by Whiplash » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:34 am

New car is briliant.

Scorpio
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Post by Scorpio » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:40 pm

the took away the precision advantage..meaning u dont haveto run *perfectly* apex to win....because an understeer corner is faster now
Image

User avatar
Keppana
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Keppana » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:09 pm

How come new season started so quickly, this is becaming so meaningless if there is like 10 seasons in a year. 2 or 3 seasons could be just nice. Anyway I'm not going to drive there so it's just pointless to whine, I would be more interested if there is same kind of cup with Antislider next time.

Tijny
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Tijny » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Keppana wrote:How come new season started so quickly, this is becaming so meaningless if there is like 10 seasons in a year. 2 or 3 seasons could be just nice. Anyway I'm not going to drive there so it's just pointless to whine, I would be more interested if there is same kind of cup with Antislider next time.
The GPOR open seasons are obviously very popular and attract lots of players, so how is that meaningless? It's not really an organized event, the main purpose is just to encourage casual, everyday racing by giving the players something to drive for, and it's doing a very good job at that. It's like you're saying the Punaball autoserver should only keep track of statistics for two months a year.

User avatar
Keppana
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Keppana » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Tijny wrote:The GPOR open seasons are obviously very popular and attract lots of players, so how is that meaningless? It's not really an organized event, the main purpose is just to encourage casual, everyday racing by giving the players something to drive for, and it's doing a very good job at that. It's like you're saying the Punaball autoserver should only keep track of statistics for two months a year.
What I'm trying to say is why it's again GPOR season, Anti season could be as good success also and fit for all kind of casual and hardcore players.

User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

Post by dede » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Keppana wrote:What I'm trying to say is why it's again GPOR season, Anti season could be as good success also and fit for all kind of casual and hardcore players.
Ehrrr.. AntiSlider isn't exactly the car for fairplay racing. Or at least, not the current AntiSlider. Maybe in near future we could get rid of that car and replace it with something better.

Anyway, GPOR seasons are doing a very good job, since we can find players online every day at every hour (more or less). Nothing succeeded more than F1 in TS history. I don't think we'll host something different in that server, because keeping high attention over F1 casual racing will favour September's F1 League.

Tijny
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Tijny » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:43 pm

dede wrote: Or at least, not the current AntiSlider. Maybe in near future we could get rid of that car and replace it with something better.
We should definitely get rid of Spinner too then!

User avatar
Scud
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Imatra, Finland
Contact:

Post by Scud » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:59 pm

I think these F1-seasons are pretty much the only reason why TS is still living so it is more than important to have these seasons so often. This is also the reason why i wanted to learn track making with photoshop since there is not so big need for default tracks.
~siLciR <3~

User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

Post by dede » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Tijny wrote:We should definitely get rid of Spinner too then!
Well, Spinner doesn't have any bugs. If players don't like it, they simply won't drive it. AntiSlider is liked by many players, but it is bad for normal racing because it slides for every small contact. Then it can be fixed.

Tijny
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Tijny » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 am

Scud wrote:This is also the reason why i wanted to learn track making with photoshop since there is not so big need for default tracks.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Even though I already knew how to make F1 tracks, I hated the ones I released before (due to bad terrain usage, visual inconsistencies, not much variety in curves and some other small bugs), but when I learned about the new league plans I decided to try my luck again. I devised my own methods for pretty much every step of building the image, and I must say I'm pleased with the results. I have completed 15+ new tracks now (:lol:, plus a few I didn't really like), maybe I'll release some of them in the near future.

And dede, Spinner is one big bug!

Etana
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Finland/Oulu

Post by Etana » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 pm

As I have raced couple of times with new car and fuel settings, I noticed one annoying thing. Economic (low fuel consume) driving style seems to be even more important now. It shouldn't have such a huge impact in tactical decisions.

What racing is supposed to be? Economic driving or driving "on the edge"? Don't get me wrong, tight 1 stops are ok for some few tracks, but currently that situation applies to way too many tracks! Haven't counted tracks where 1 stop is clearly best tactic, but I think it's enough that I even get this feeling. Also it seems I am not only one feeling this way. Well lux loves 1 stop tactics so he is probably cursing now...

I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: ), but that's not something I want to live with in racing games... :roll:

Tijny
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Tijny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Etana wrote:As I have raced couple of times with new car and fuel settings, I noticed one annoying thing. Economic (low fuel consume) driving style seems to be even more important now. It shouldn't have such a huge impact in tactical decisions.

What racing is supposed to be? Economic driving or driving "on the edge"? Don't get me wrong, tight 1 stops are ok for some few tracks, but currently that situation applies to way too many tracks! Haven't counted tracks where 1 stop is clearly best tactic, but I think it's enough that I even get this feeling. Also it seems I am not only one feeling this way. Well lux loves 1 stop tactics so he is probably cursing now...

I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: ), but that's not something I want to live with in racing games... :roll:
Agreed 100%. Winning races by not accelerating just seems wrong.

User avatar
iBlaze²
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:42 pm
Location: England

Post by iBlaze² » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Etana wrote:I noticed one annoying thing. Economic (low fuel consume) driving style seems to be even more important now.
Yeah, I noticed this too - mainly because I'm one of the least economic drivers around! I'm forever running out of fuel whilst those around me make it to the pits. Maybe fuel settings need to be changed next season to make them more suitable for the new car?

(...and maybe I need to learn to drive more economically too :lol: )

User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

Post by dede » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Etana wrote:I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: )
So you don't use brakes :shock:

Yeah probably that's true. In most of tracks you can drive with both 1 and 2 pits. I personally love that, since it adds tactical weight to the race. It would be nice to know if that's good or bad for other players as well :P
To fix this, we could add more idle consume, so in most cases there won't be way of doing 1 stop only.

User avatar
Scud
Community User Level: 3
Community User Level: 3
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Imatra, Finland
Contact:

Post by Scud » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 am

Etana wrote:What racing is supposed to be? Economic driving or driving "on the edge"?
I think fuel settings should be changed. Fuel tactics adds some spice in races, indeed... But now economic driving is in too big role.
~siLciR <3~

Etana
Community User Level: 1
Community User Level: 1
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Finland/Oulu

Post by Etana » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 am

dede wrote:
Etana wrote:I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: )
So you don't use brakes :shock:

Yeah probably that's true. In most of tracks you can drive with both 1 and 2 pits. I personally love that, since it adds tactical weight to the race. It would be nice to know if that's good or bad for other players as well :P
To fix this, we could add more idle consume, so in most cases there won't be way of doing 1 stop only.
Yes I don't use brakes in real life as much as average driver. Ever heard of predictive driving and "engine brake"? :)

Thing is that in most cases 1 stop is probably still clearly faster, if you have possibility for this. Maybe it could be changed by adjusting fuel settings? Little more fuel slowdown and faster refuel perhaps? That would still leave possibility for 1 or 2 stops. Though finding good balance is probably difficult...

User avatar
stummihouse
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:19 pm
Location: Firenze

Post by stummihouse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Tijny wrote:
Etana wrote:As I have raced couple of times with new car and fuel settings, I noticed one annoying thing. Economic (low fuel consume) driving style seems to be even more important now. It shouldn't have such a huge impact in tactical decisions.

What racing is supposed to be? Economic driving or driving "on the edge"? Don't get me wrong, tight 1 stops are ok for some few tracks, but currently that situation applies to way too many tracks! Haven't counted tracks where 1 stop is clearly best tactic, but I think it's enough that I even get this feeling. Also it seems I am not only one feeling this way. Well lux loves 1 stop tactics so he is probably cursing now...

I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: ), but that's not something I want to live with in racing games... :roll:
Agreed 100%. Winning races by not accelerating just seems wrong.
yeah, i agree.

isn't only a fuel problem, we can't fix it with a fuel consumpion modify, i think.
F1 are brakes and gas, not an antislider-driving.... :lol:

User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

Post by dede » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:43 pm

stummihouse wrote:we can't fix it with a fuel consumpion modify, i think.
F1 are brakes and gas, not an antislider-driving.... :lol:
That's wrong. We can change idle consumption. But we need to find the right value (so that maybe both tactics will be equally faster). Later tonight I'll run some tests in my own server.

lux2
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Parma - Italy

Post by lux2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 am

dede wrote:we could add more idle consume
I think that to add more idle consumption it's not the right way and it goes in the opposite way of the real engines.

Driving with fuel is quite boring but it's lovely to manage it in different tactics.
If the fuel management must have less importance, i think it's better without fuel at all.

The actual situation it's just due to the particular number of laps that allow 1 pit in most of the tracks and, this is the worst thing, with a "mandatory" strategy.

And... in the real life i actually drive exactly like etana. Speed limits and traffic kill the driving pleasure so... i play against my fuel meter.
Not always a safe way of driving! :? :D

User avatar
dede
Community User Level: 5
Community User Level: 5
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Milan (Italy)
Contact:

Post by dede » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:54 pm

There are new fuel settings now. Two stops are needed for most (if not all) tracks. Fuel saving doesn't give much advantage.

User avatar
pablinho15
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Location: Tigre,Buenos Aires,Argentina

Post by pablinho15 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 am

Tijny wrote:
dede wrote: Or at least, not the current AntiSlider. Maybe in near future we could get rid of that car and replace it with something better.
We should definitely get rid of Spinner too then!

noooo.... spinner nooo... plz :D

User avatar
pablinho15
Community User Level: 2
Community User Level: 2
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:41 pm
Location: Tigre,Buenos Aires,Argentina

Post by pablinho15 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:24 am

stummihouse wrote:
Tijny wrote:
Etana wrote:As I have raced couple of times with new car and fuel settings, I noticed one annoying thing. Economic (low fuel consume) driving style seems to be even more important now. It shouldn't have such a huge impact in tactical decisions.

What racing is supposed to be? Economic driving or driving "on the edge"? Don't get me wrong, tight 1 stops are ok for some few tracks, but currently that situation applies to way too many tracks! Haven't counted tracks where 1 stop is clearly best tactic, but I think it's enough that I even get this feeling. Also it seems I am not only one feeling this way. Well lux loves 1 stop tactics so he is probably cursing now...

I am happy to drive in economic way in real life (usually, not always :wink: ), but that's not something I want to live with in racing games... :roll:
Agreed 100%. Winning races by not accelerating just seems wrong.
yeah, i agree.

isn't only a fuel problem, we can't fix it with a fuel consumpion modify, i think.
F1 are brakes and gas, not an antislider-driving.... :lol:

true 100%.....is very boring the new session

Post Reply