It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 am

Why are servers empty most of the time?

Talk about your ideas, rants, raves, technical issues, and problems.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Ana

Community User Level: 1

Why are servers empty most of the time?

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 am

Last edited by Ana on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Re: Why are servers empty most of the time?

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 11:29 am

Ana wrote:Is TS becoming boring?

What do we need to see more players (new and old ones) in the servers?

Lets make a storm of ideas. :wink: :idea:

:) We already discussed many times about that and nothing changed yet. Here you can read just a few topics about it:
http://www.turbosliders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

There are are many others topics related to the same problem. We can't do much without programming knowledge. It's all about Website and auto-servers organization. And all TS programmers are pretty busy to get into that work more seriously. They are all studying, working, and I know the one who is gambling. :P
"Hall of fame wanking ranking" and "Live racing ranking" are the crucial things. That's what similar games makes more popular even they all suck compared to TS. And, don't forget about my Chinese language suggestion. :wink:

shyguy1001

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am

I think it's a vicious circle/catch 22 situation.. nobody plans on the servers because.. nobody plays on them :D I guess we can all help simply by playing more on popular servers like FTC.. perhaps we could organize informal cups every 2 nights at a popular time, this might help to boost activity again in the short term :)
www.youtube.com/sliderstv <---- Best Turbosliders Videos ever made ;)

Dide Dide

Community User Level: 2

Community User Level: 2

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Well, when i think on playing i write turbosliders.com , it loads and wow what i see 0 players , mostly so far punaball is the active server where mostly u see 4/4, Full Contact so far i dont play, is really boring, it doesnt even get 5 players, get a CUP TOTAL CONTACT (there are scripts already create before it wont be that hard, to change it a little) Whip man, u are also an admin , move ur ass man :D dont wait for dede,Tijny :D

Mike Nike

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 pm

well..lets not forget its summer in europe.
anyway, that 2h endurance race from thursday was nice :)

Jan

Community User Level: 3

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Mike Nike wrote:well..lets not forget its summer in europe.

Exactly. You'll see me in servers again in August/September. ;)

shyguy1001

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Mike Nike wrote:well..lets not forget its summer in europe.
anyway, that 2h endurance race from thursday was nice :)

This is true, there are organized cups, if you know where to look for them

Wokinger

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Mike Nike wrote:anyway, that 2h endurance race from thursday was nice :)

Without my 2 mistakes it could be less than 1s gap on finish line :D

UKOGSam

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Don't forget the quality SCARTS races which take place most Wednesday and Sunday nights. All the excitement, drama, rage quits and NOEL you could ever want :lol:

shyguy1001

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 8:59 pm

UKOGSam wrote:Don't forget the quality SCARTS races which take place most Wednesday and Sunday nights. All the excitement, drama, rage quits and NOEL you could ever want :lol:

F*** yes! :P

Whiplash

PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Dide Dide wrote:Well, when i think on playing i write turbosliders.com , it loads and wow what i see 0 players , mostly so far punaball is the active server where mostly u see 4/4, Full Contact so far i dont play, is really boring, it doesnt even get 5 players, get a CUP TOTAL CONTACT (there are scripts already create before it wont be that hard, to change it a little) Whip man, u are also an admin , move ur ass man :D dont wait for dede,Tijny :D

It's not just about joining and playing. On that way we can only get old player back. But this game should increase number of newcomers too. There should be some constant challenge that is easily participated by any player from any part of the world. All cups, tournaments and leagues are cool, but there should be challenge that never ends hosted and automated by auto-server's scripts. It should be like improved DIT that will be on whole year.

Augusto

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 12:18 am

Whiplash wrote:It's not just about joining and playing. On that way we can only get old player back. But this game should increase number of newcomers too. There should be some constant challenge that is easily participated by any player from any part of the world. All cups, tournaments and leagues are cool, but there should be challenge that never ends hosted and automated by auto-server's scripts. It should be like improved DIT that will be on whole year.

so true.. I totally agree

Ana

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Last edited by Ana on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Ana wrote:how hard is make rankings in the page?

It's piece of shit for dede, Tijny and Mike. I know dede already had idea of how it all should look, but he's just too busy, just like other two bastards.

Ana wrote:whipp: you have a lot of good ideas, but without a friendly programer its all dreams?

True. If they started 2 years ago and spend only 1 min per day, this topic wouldn't be here now.

Ana wrote:and what is DIT?

http://www.turbosliders.com/forum/viewt ... hlight=dit

Tijny

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Whiplash wrote:True. If they started 2 years ago and spend only 1 min per day, this topic wouldn't be here now.
Do it yourself if it's that easy?

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Tijny wrote:
Whiplash wrote:True. If they started 2 years ago and spend only 1 min per day, this topic wouldn't be here now.
Do it yourself if it's that easy?

You already made all that: Weekly Wanking scripting, DIT ranking scripting etc. I wouldn't say that if I didn't see that you already made it.
And dede made almost whole site. Few more tabs shouldn't be any problem for him. Mike also made amazing features and live stats in just a few days. You made a live wanking ranking (best 3 laps) for F1 last year in one day even it was used only 1 race if I remember. So, you can't say that I'm wrong a lot there. And sure, for me it would be hard cause I have no any programming knowledge, so that's not a fair comparing. :P

Ana

PostTue Jul 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by Ana on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tijny

PostTue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Whiplash wrote:[...] And sure, for me it would be hard cause I have no any programming knowledge, so that's not a fair comparing. :P
Apologies for being rude earlier, but Ana is right in saying that it isn't really fair to put all the blame on the "programmers" like you do. In fact, I don't even consider myself a programmer - I'm just a hobbyist.

I for one don't have a clear picture in my head what this "ranking" or w/e should look like. There are countless problems that arise here (how do we rank players without resorting to single lap times? how should we synchronize it with the website? how the f*** do we even change anything to the current website? how do we handle fake nicks? which tracks and cars should be used? if default, how do we get people to like sliding cars again?) and the biggest problem of all is that development of the game itself is pretty much at a dead end. So yeah, I'm at a loss here.

Augusto

PostTue Jul 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Clearly the page and the game are almost abandoned, the reason for this is that we are very few...

*why are we so few?:
-because few people like this game.

*why people doesn't like the game?:
-because few people likes racing games.
-And because most of people who likes racing prefer nice 3d graphics like GT5.
.... thats why TS doesn't call the attention of players...

*why new people that played TS doesn't keep playing?:
-because they get bored after a few days...

*why they get bored?:
-because they find boring racing alone.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

_Release the installer with a lot of diferent tracks and cars (or make a track pack to download.. IT MUST BE EASY TO FIND FOR NEWBIES!!)

_Make some kind of "challenges" (like trackmania and other games) so you can have fun when nobody is online.

_Make a lot of different rankings so people find motivation to keep playing. Rankings in the game! not in the website!

-Release the source code... im not sure about this, but i think more people will be atracted if there exist the possibility of modifying the game. Also this will good if creators of the game doesn't have time to make new releases.

I wish i could help with something... im trying to learn programing on my free times but its not easy to find freetime.
i hope we can do something to make this game more popular.

PD: maybe a little of publicity will work.

Whiplash

PostTue Jul 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Tijny wrote:Apologies for being rude earlier, but Ana is right in saying that it isn't really fair to put all the blame on the "programmers" like you do.

Well, you read that on wrong way. It's not blaming it's bagging. :) I spent billions of posts about these problems already, so I 'll avoid to do it again.

Tijny wrote:There are countless problems that arise here.

I would never ask for something that I haven't already saw you made.

Tijny wrote:-how do we rank players without resorting to single lap times?
Well, what's bad about single lap times? Sorting them would be good enough for one type of ranking.

Tijny wrote:-how should we synchronize it with the website?

And how dede managed to do it with DIT? It worked just perfect.

Tijny wrote:-how the f*** do we even change anything to the current website?

Didn't dede already make all stuff on it??? He made a nice track base, ranking and stuff. You also made that nice ranking that even has charts. Why would similar (or more simple) things be problem?

Tijny wrote:-how do we handle fake nicks?

It's almost impossible to fake if people have to drive directly online on some Wanking server. Cheating is easily noticed.

Tijny wrote:which tracks and cars should be used? if default, how do we get people to like sliding cars again?

Well, just try to remember the last Weekly Wanking sessions. You set only 3 cars. One of them was the ugliest shit that I ever saw on the wheels (f*** F2-TSB). And, what happened?...man we all played with it anyway. Those were the most active days in TS I ever saw. There was more than 60 players ranked for each week, and just imagine how many we could get if there was a cooler (more official) ranking too. All people just like statistics no matter what car and track it is about.
Ranking should just split one car from another, just like it's with DIT. So, any player can be motivated to play only with his favourite one at the beginning and fallow only that part of ranking. Believe me, 5 default cars are just enough. It's all about competition and challenge; if it's organized nicely, it 'll be all ok.
About website changing, it's almost nothing needed. You should just make the ranking more visible on the homepage.
If it's "international" that's already good motivation. Every player likes to see his country flag on the site, and see how fast other drivers are compared to him. Some skill classes could motivate them too. Mike already got few really sick ideas about live wanking stats which he planed to implement. I saw few of them, and I'm sure that Mike would like to help you there.

Tijny wrote:-and the biggest problem of all is that development of the game itself is pretty much at a dead end

Sorry, but that's a bad argument. GenneRally's last version is even older than TS's. But, there is still very active community. And, guess what...? - they even have no possibility to play directly online. It's fully offline game and fully based on wanking (more or less). But they have a pretty nice and detailed ranking:
http://joskgr.free.fr/GWR/
For me, dede's DIT ranking is even cooler, cause it's nicely designed and easily reviewed. It should be just refreshed and updated with few new things.

Coolsea

PostWed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 am

What if all TS players simply encouraged their friends and family to join in the fun??!! Maybe we could put up links to the demo on social media sites and encourage others to give it a try. If any players are members of other forums, perhaps they could encourage potential players on there as well. A ranking system would definitely help retain members as well, even if it were as simple as recording win percentage, top 3 percentage, top 10, etc.

Afinfas

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Ohhh...i only saw this thread just now!!! Dont let it die guys!!

I see that whiplash is playing the role i´ve been playing on NSGP all the time!! :lol: Always wanting to get the game improved gathering all the persons interested. I understand you mate...it looks so simple some solutions that i get a bit of frustrated by not seeing them implemented.

Im just sad i dont know a $hit about programming and numbers cause otherwise.... :(

I agree with Wipsplash....if the guys who know about coding and play this game invest just one hour per week each one in coding, these changes could be easly made. Its just a matter of you guys organize yourselves and share work.
We hace currently exactly the same prob on NSGP BUT theres only one developer working on it. Here there are 3 it looks!!

Maybe you can use Bitbucket to share work and know what is assign to who. Check it out with NSGP example: https://bitbucket.org/przemator/nsgp/issues

Yeah, TS needs something to capture new players and keep them playing it. I recon a single player mode would be crucial for it. Small things can be made like simply adding COM players that pit and refuel! Would be a big start!

Feedback its not missing for sure!! Theres already loads of suggestions, its only missing the will and time of the persons who can do it! And this is not a crytic or attack, simply a request! :D

Quick ideas:

Add single player mode with COM players pitting,.....
Make a track pack default
Make COM players with different driving levels GENRALY style!
Make time split times (not priority though)
And for god sake, make car a bit smoother. Like now it looks like it turns like the pointers of a analogue CLOCK! :lol: On this NSGP is much better so have it as reference.
I could stay here for hours speaking about possibilities

SO, just organize yourselves and lets spread TS word and make it a world reference in what 2d Top down racing game concerns! I have same wish for NSGP but...it doesnt seems to work.
I still believe in a possible Fusion but...its only my wishes i guess!
"Dont forget to be happy!"

power79

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Afinfas wrote:I agree with Wipsplash....if the guys who know about coding and play this game invest just one hour per week each one in coding, these changes could be easly made. Its just a matter of you guys organize yourselves and share work.

I don't think you have yet discovered this thread:
http://www.turbosliders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2888
There we discuss the possible v2.1

If I could get source for this game I would easily spend at least few hours a week coding new stuff. But it is Andes code and I don't think hes ready to share it. Lets hope he can find time and motivation to improve the game.

Afinfas

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

power79 wrote:
Afinfas wrote:I agree with Wipsplash....if the guys who know about coding and play this game invest just one hour per week each one in coding, these changes could be easly made. Its just a matter of you guys organize yourselves and share work.

I don't think you have yet discovered this thread:
http://www.turbosliders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2888
There we discuss the possible v2.1

If I could get source for this game I would easily spend at least few hours a week coding new stuff. But it is Andes code and I don't think hes ready to share it. Lets hope he can find time and motivation to improve the game.

WOW...great i really havent seen it before.... Forums...they are alwasy full of threads and it takes some time till you get over all of them! Thanks for the link though... I will be one more active voice in the pursuit of a better game! ;)
"Dont forget to be happy!"

Whiplash

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Afinfas wrote:Make COM players with different driving levels GENRALY style!

This is already possible. You can set different skill for each AI driver.
Afinfas wrote:And for god sake, make car a bit smoother. Like now it looks like it turns like the pointers of a analogue CLOCK! :lol: On this NSGP is much better so have it as reference.

:lol: Glad to hear that somebody else seeing space for improvement in that area. I'm kinda sure this will be considered by Ande. :wink:
Amateurs like Tijny and dede would never ask for it just cause they're blind motherfuckers!
And Pingu...he's not blind - he's just stupid. :p
HERE are some of his claver conclusions.

Afinfas wrote:WOW...great i really havent seen it before.... Forums...they are alwasy full of threads and it takes some time till you get over all of them! Thanks for the link though... I will be one more active voice in the pursuit of a better game! ;)

WTF man, are you serious??? We were posting there for a months. Even And came there. :)

Return to Suggestions