Discussions related to the website

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

Whiplash

Community User Level: 5

Re: New Turbo Sliders website (2015)

PostTue Mar 10, 2015 6:24 pm

- It's probably not a good idea to use a private server to create an official ranking on the website. Even Tijny's and Badee's servers are public, they would probably rather keep the full freedom of their servers in order to experiment whatever and whenever they want to. But I guess you could allow them to link their own rankings on the main website easily (once and if they decide to create them).
That's why I'm coming up with this question: Is http://www.turbosliders.com allowing its own TS autoserver hosting?

- For a single cups you should just give people ability to write a text with their results. And for a Leagues and Tournaments you should give them ability also to make more sections of those texts. That should be good enough for the first time. We would see later what could be improved.

- And, about the forum admins...I'm not sure what exactly you need there. I thought that dede gave you full access to the website already. Did he?
T and Badee obviously missed your posts inside of admin forum section. I could probably give you the admin rights too. But I'm scared that T would ban my admin access then. That's what he's doing these days. :twisted:

stummihouse

Community User Level: 2

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am

Yes, I'm already administrator.
But I'm no expert with PHPBB, so I was hoping that some of "the elders" could easily install this MOD :D

Whiplash

PostSun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm

These days I had chat with dede. Seems he's too busy to help with the MOD installing problem. But I guess he already informed you about it. I don't know what T's and Badee's status is. I suggest you to not count on anyone's help there (at least not soon). :(

Badeend

Community User Level: 1

Community User Level: 1

PostSun Mar 15, 2015 4:41 pm

I replied in the original topic.

Whiplash

PostSat Apr 11, 2015 3:40 pm

I wonder if it's possible to connect the BoWob's Public chat room with the official IRC channel (#turbosliders on IRCnet). That would be perfect way to combine IRC and that Facebookish chat together. And new visitors would have bigger chance to always meet somebody to ask for direct help.

stummihouse

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 pm

we can use the bowob chat as is...

stummihouse

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:23 pm

we finally connected the forum users with the new site.
in this way we can keep this forum, so dear to the users, and keep working on the new site.

try it! log in here with your user+pass and take a look: http://maybe.turbosliders.com/
(if you see an error about the timezone, click My Account -> edit and set a Timezone)

Whiplash

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:38 pm

When can we expect that "maybe." to be deleted from the adress? :wink:

stummihouse

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:47 pm

if you can, please push other administrators to do a checkup to determine whether the site is ready, and what we can do to improve it.

users can begin to enter the site, set the avatar and report fields who would like to see in the user panel.

we could insert some teams... to populate the site before going online and give administrators the opportunity to test and make suggestions

Meanwhile, I started to work on the management of cups and tournaments, according to your good suggestions in the previous post.

Whiplash

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 12:01 am

1. You should reorganize the tracks and cars section.
Instead of having "Some of new cars" in "Cars" category, you should create 2 links: "Single cars" and "Car packs". Both of them should be editable.
Same goes for "Tracks" category. Instead of having "A set of track packs" and "F1 track pack", you should create the other 2 links "Single tracks" and "Track packs" (they should be editable too of course).
That will make easier logic to follow for all the admins and all the visitors. :wink:

2. "User Login" section should exist on homepage only (just like you did it with Facebook section). That way the whole site will be more clean and the "Donate" section will be more visible on all the other pages, which is more fair for the game developer. :wink:

3. On the top of the home page there is a text which second part is:
Download the game, join the community and start play and compete with many opponents in various tracks and with different cars, in single races or organized tournaments!
It should be corrected to:
Download the game, join the community and compete against your opponents on various tracks. Try out different cars in single races or organized tournaments. Experience the addictive gameplay of Turbo Sliders!

stummihouse

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 9:26 am

Thank you very much for your contribution :)

3. Thanks for the correction of the home text.

1. Where now you see only "A set of track packs" and "F1 track pack", you (or another admin) can already add more things, or edit it!
Those are just examples, but you can add other files and (surprise!) you can already choose to load a single track, or a trackpack. :)
Just do it!
Separating further the download pages does not help either the admin or users: on the old site there are thousands of single track, and it's frustrating having to download them one by one!

In any case, before making many small minor changes, I would like the site to be tested by the site administrators, used, and filled with useful materials! Only after we have done this we will have a better idea on the changes to do on the site.

2. User login box is vital that it is present in all pages.
In the new version it is preferable that users enroll by site rather than by the forum.
Perhaps we can find another place, but before making unnecessary changes we have to test and start to use the site, as just said.

Bye! :)

Whiplash

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 am

stummihouse wrote:1. Where now you see only "A set of track packs" and "F1 track pack", you (or another admin) can already add more things, or edit it!
Those are just examples, but you can add other files and (surprise!) you can already choose to load a single track, or a trackpack. :) Just do it!

Yes, I've tried editing already. I can edit names of already created links and content behind of them, but I can't add new links or delete existing ones. One more editable link for cars is needed. Otherwise, that one link "Some of the new cars" is senseless, no matter how I rename it. Cause cars could be showed directly on that page then, without that extra link.

stummihouse wrote:Separating further the download pages does not help either the admin or users: on the old site there are thousands of single track, and it's frustrating having to download them one by one!

That's true. But we should still think about what to do with all the new single tracks that people create. Dede's track base was good at that. He just forgot to implement checking multiple single tracks for downloading.

stummihouse

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 am

maybe I did not understand what the problem is, I'm sorry
i try to summarize:

* You can add items (called Download) by clicking Add content(then ->Download) on top left of your site window.
* For every Download you can add a description (with links inside if you like) and N links (to do it: click "add another item" when editing a Download).
* You can also add a "Summary", so you can show your text (and links) on the download page list.

"Some of the new cars" is just an example, edit it or add other items: then i will delete my example.

we should still think about what to do with all the new single tracks that people create

well, everything is ready! :)
you can add a trackpack, OR a single track!

Whiplash

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 12:27 pm

stummihouse wrote:* You can add items (called Download) by clicking Add content(then ->Download) on top left of your site window.
* For every Download you can add a description (with links inside if you like) and N links (to do it: click "add another item" when editing a Download).
* You can also add a "Summary", so you can show your text (and links) on the download page list.

"Some of the new cars" is just an example, edit it or add other items: then i will delete my example.

O boy. :) I obviously confused you by using term "links". I'll try to explain you the problem on another way.
Focus on this page. Let's say now that I want to add 5 cars under the Single cars section, image for each car and description for each car. Well I can't do it and that's the problem. When I'm adding new items, I'm basically just adding links without images and descriptions, which is bad. I can only make image and description for the whole Single cars section.
I could make "Single car" and "Track pack" sections to become "AntiSlider" (with image and description for that car) and "Default cars" (with image and description for that pack), but then I can't add more of them.

Anyway, you didn't allow me to edit description of Piggy car (now Single cars) either.

stummihouse

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 1:52 pm

look now at http://maybe.turbosliders.com/download/cars
each item can be a single car with an image, description etc... there isn't a "single car section".
you can use the "TAGS" for this: put the tag "single car" or "carpack" to an item, so users can find it easly.

about permissions: try now! please use with caution the "Full HTML" format :)

Whiplash

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Ah, now I got it. :oops: I totally ignored to click on "Add content" and "Find content" shortcuts cause I've thought they're the same as upper "Content" shortcut. Now I'm seeing that "+ Add content" option is also inside of "Content". Try to write that "+ Add content" with bigger fonts please. :)
And yeah, this will work nicely now, just as I've expected. :wink:

stummihouse

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 4:34 pm

increased max file size to 200kb, and you now have a new field: "Author" (if any)

thank you for your work! :)

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 2:13 pm

About the Tournamets:
- We don't need setup for End Date, cause in almost all of the tournaments you never know what that date surely is. That's why you should replace Show End Date with Show Next Event Date. Tournament hosters will update that info and it will be much more useful. Also, try to make that Date and Time info more visible on the page.

- This thing is probably too complicated for you, but I still want to see if it's possible. It would be really great thing if the standings table could be somehow automatically generated from results we write on the bottom. That thing would be extremely helpful.
I tried to avoid manual table creating by copying the excel table directly there, but it didn't look well. That's why I just left the htm link there.

In general:
- Can you add font size and font color for text?
- Cars page doesn't need Download also: Cars, and Tracks page doesn't need Download also: Tracks

stummihouse

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Tournaments Dates
good suggestions!

Can you add font size and font color for text?
While editing content, search for "Text format" and select "Full HTML".
You should see all the possible options, including size and colors.

Cars page doesn't need Download also: Cars, and Tracks page doesn't need Download also: Tracks
yep.
i suggest to remove both "download also" links, and replace it with a list of used tags

Standings table could be somehow automatically generated
Sure! It was the main idea that inspired me to start the new site.
But first we have to establish a standard format for data entry.
In this regard it would be helpful if other "tournament administrators" come to say their opinion.

Thanks!

Whiplash

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm

stummihouse wrote:Cars page doesn't need Download also: Cars, and Tracks page doesn't need Download also: Tracks
yep.
i suggest to remove both "download also" links, and replace it with a list of used tags

Ah, yeah, that's a great idea, because current tags look bad sometimes. So, you're probably planning to remove them totally from the current positions, which is a good move.

Also, multimedia images are way too big now. Make them much smaller so that people don't have to scroll down so much.

EDIT:
- What happens when somebody presses "JOIN THIS TEAM". What kind of approving is he going trough?
- Have in mind that there are some players who are using one username on forum and the other in the game. Maybe they could get some option to write their ingame name manually after they click "JOIN THIS TEAM".

stummihouse

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 10:47 am

- What happens when somebody presses "JOIN THIS TEAM". What kind of approving is he going trough?
That function, as it is, is not good.
I'll try to do something better.

- Have in mind that there are some players who are using one username on forum and the other in the game.
I would put the option of choosing the in-game nickname(s) associated with a site-user, regardless from joining a team.

Question:
What time zone should I set to show the clock on the site?

Thank you! :D

Whiplash

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 am

Well, most of the players are from CEST zone. But I guess it will be the most fair to take GMT, since the website is global. We will organize competitions according to that time in the future then.

stummihouse

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 pm

made some changes.

Now you can add one or more "Team Manager" to a team.
The Team Managers are additional users who can administer the team (to edit the description, add and remove members...)
So users have to ask a TM to join a team.

About the tournament results data entry:
I think we could start with your format, quite simple.
Can you eventually upload a CSV file with following columns?
Player, Day 1, Day 2, Day N...

the file should look like:

Code: Select all
stummihouse,10,8,10,6,0,10,1
dedeculo,0,0,0,0,0,0,10
Whiplash,8,6,0,6,0,0,1

position and total score will be calculated

Whiplash

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 7:17 pm

The idea is great! But it doesn't seem to work yet.
Those status icons are cool too. You just need to find a better place for them. Maybe you could put them on the top, in the first row before the text of summary/description. Like this:

This is a test tournament. It will be removed soon.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Upcoming event date: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 17:15

stummihouse

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

>> The idea is great! But it doesn't seem to work yet.
i just started to work on it :P
i'll tell you when to try it
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion