It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:34 am

Full Contact

Discussion related to Turbo Sliders and beta version feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

• Author

xzeal

Community User Level: 3

Community User Level: 3

Re: Full Contact

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 3:23 am

Whiplash wrote:After a test with non-reversed cup starting order, I realized that it could be much better than a current (reversed) one. Non-reversed order gives opportunity to real rivals to get in the direct battle, which is not the case now. Now, the only moment where you see your rival is the starting grid, and then you always lose him while getting in the crowd and struggling with the slower drivers.

That's why winning a cup doesn't mean a lot now. Anyone can win it with some lucky overtakes. Non-reversed order gives better view of drivers skill and once some player win a cup, you know that he pretty much deserved it by his constant wins against his rivals in direct battles. I'd like to know what others think about this.

why do you always try to make full contact worse?

Starting first means you either get knocked out in the first corner or win the race and the best tend to not get bumped out. Changing the current system means you will just give faster people more of an advantage which is TERRIBLE. Full contact is about mayhem, you are trying to introduce order. Right now you are decreasing the chance of winning through luck for people who are not very fast and that is the main appeal of this mode.

Tijny

Community User Level: 5

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 am

Fully agreed with xzeal.

I have nothing against discussing and experimenting with the starting order, but you are suggesting the worst option aside from ordering by best lap. I think reverse cup order, last race results, or even random are all reasonable choices.

Whiplash

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 pm

xzeal wrote:Right now you are decreasing the chance of winning through luck for people who are not very fast and that is the main appeal of this mode.

You mean "increasing"? Right now anyone can win quite easily by some luck.
I thought too at first that non-reversed cup order is the worst option. But after the test cup, I changed my mind. Now your racing against your rivals in based mostly on blocking. But with the non-reversed order you become a hunter. And the fight of the faster players gets to the higher level; it is very challenging to outwit fast players in an direct battle in order to overtake them on the cup standings. Starting order based on last race is pretty similar to it; it's only worst on making direct battle of rivals consistent. Anyway, if most of the people like to keep it as it is, than ok. But, it would really nice to have more options sometimes. Is it complicated to make an extra voting for this when 1 is picked?

Tijny

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Whiplash wrote:You mean "increasing"? Right now anyone can win quite easily by some luck.
And that is a good thing™. The desired effect is that anyone can win races, while still requiring an element of skill to win cups. Reversed order and random order both realize this, and race results order as well, to a lesser degree.

Whiplash wrote:I thought too at first that non-reversed cup order is the worst option. But after the test cup, I changed my mind. Now your racing against your rivals in based mostly on blocking. But with the non-reversed order you become a hunter. And the fight of the faster players gets to the higher level; it is very challenging to outwit fast players in an direct battle in order to overtake them on the cup standings.
While there is some truth to this, the goal is to keep things fun for all. If you start the cup well and battle for the top places, then sure, it's a nice position to be in, but if you're not as skilled or even if you just missed your start, it's nearly impossible to get any results. Is that what you want?

Whiplash wrote:Starting order based on last race is pretty similar to it; it's only worst on making direct battle of rivals consistent.
It's better because the order isn't nearly as consistent, giving significantly more chances for surprises or to bounce back from poor results.

Whiplash wrote:Is it complicated to make an extra voting for this when 1 is picked?
Yes.

Whiplash

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 7:28 pm

OK then, let's keep it as it is.

Whiplash

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Recently, Shaytun and I (Bosnians) get disconnection exactly at 00:00 every night. Probably not all Bosnians get it, but it's frustrating for two of us. :)

Whiplash

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 11:39 pm

T, I know you're probably already coding some things for web, but it would be really great if you could work on a new mode in FC server.

Basically, you need to make a script that summarizes players' lap times instead of points, and present them in chat with gaps info.
Then players should vote for 2 cars options: 1. default cars (random for each next race) 2. AntiSlider-Hunter (fixed).
Tracks should be racing ones (those from slide shack), 3 laps only, and ghosts on, of course.
If a player misses some race, he could get the slowest time driven for that race by another player. Or you could find another solution.

That's the mode that LVP2 server is missing quite a lot. Maybe you can just modify Weekly Hot Lap script for this.

Whiplash

PostSun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Drafting settings are changed. The drafting effect distance is much shorter now, and the effect itself is stronger. The result should be more aggressive driving and overtaking.

Will

Community User Level: 1

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Whiplash wrote:Drafting settings are changed. The drafting effect distance is much shorter now, and the effect itself is stronger. The result should be more aggressive driving and overtaking.

So this means that once the drafting kicks in, the logical thing to do is overtake the car in front, otherwise we'll bump into it. More 'traditional' overtakes instead of 'violent' ones... I'm ok with that.

Whiplash

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 pm

After some days of testings, I can say that the new drafting settings are just as they should be. I had a lot of great battles thanks to it. If your reaction is good, you will be able to overtake your opponent before he decide to block you. That's why blocking isn't that easy anymore. But, from another side, it's harder to get in the zone where drafting will be effective.

max tre

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Yesterday night we were trying the "16" gamemode (the TWO LIFES BIG LIFES one) when we noticed that people coming in last were not the ones who lost their lives, who rather looked to have been chosen kinda randomly (i.e. the 1st :shock: , the 4th, the last one, etc.).
After some races we guessed the life-loser in race N was the last one of race N-1 :!: , with someone (don't remember who, maybe Oompa Loompa) losing his life in race 1 for some reason :lol: . It produced some funny stuff (namely: the first "wtf is happening here?" doubts, the "dead man walking" races -since you know in advance that you're gonna be kicked out no matter what you're doing this race- and the "what will happen if the dead man walking lost his last race too?" -spoiler: the second-last will lose his life the next race-), but maybe it would be better if you fix it :D.

I would bet my money that's because of T working in order to show a recap of the lives count (the server misprinted something about this after every race) - so thank you in advance, man :wink:.

Tijny

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Well, at least that's better than the server restarting at the start of the cup. A bit like Russian Roulette!
No?

Anyway, my apologies. This gamemode has been broken for too long now. I suppose that's what I get for trying to add a few features, being too lazy to test them, then trying to fix whatever bugs I introduced, and still being too lazy to test it all. I hope all is well now.

max tre

PostSat Mar 19, 2016 2:24 am

Yeh ahah :lol: .
Btw you got nothing to be sorry about, really. And of course it works fine now, good job :wink: .

Whiplash

PostSun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 pm

T, nice add-on to Knockdown mode. Only one small change is needed there. It would be good if you list the "x player has no more life remaining. Please rejoin as spec" info after the "number of lifes remaining" stats. And you should kick him just before the race is started, so he can have some time to read the info.

Also, about Full Team Contact voting...
Blue info that says "Full Team Contact is selected. Now chose number of teams, bla bla..." should come after main voting results are presented. Same goes when results are tied - blue info should be presented after the tied voting results.
Previous

Return to General Discussion