Formula 1 World Championship #1

Talk it up about competitions, cups, races, and tournaments.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tijny
Community User Level: 5

Re: Formula 1 World Championship #1

Post by Tijny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:38 am

Pingu wrote:How are you supposed to drive this car?
When do brakes lock? Only after x amount of time braking or does -speed and or -turning also affect brake locking?
When do you loose grip? The amount of time you lock does it also affect how much grip you loose, or is one small puff all grip lost immediatly.
Braking and steering? On old F1 car this was the way to go. Only braking in straight line recommended?
How to freaking approach da corners :D
elo

The wheels lock up after a certain period of sustained braking. It's not affected by steering — it might have been cool if it was, but the game's handling system doesn't provide that feature. Losing grip is instantaneous the moment you lock up, and it doesn't stack if you keep braking. Another thing to note is that the car brakes harder at higher speeds, because of the downforce effect.

What this means is that it's perfectly fine to brake and turn at the same time, but in slower corners you have to start braking before you can even think about steering. The preferred way is to have a phase of sustained braking until just before the wheels lock up, followed by braking in short bursts if you need to slow down even further, meanwhile turning into the corner when you need to. Ideally you would want to keep the brakes near the limit of locking up all the way up to the point where you can start accelerating, but that's insanely difficult to do because you get no feedback in any way until it's too late. Even the fastest guys will usually have some form of unwanted coasting into a corner, because the alternative of accidentally locking up hurts a whole lot more.

One very important thing to keep in mind: it's far, far better to brake too early than it is to brake too late!

If you overrun the apex due to locking up and/or braking too late, you cover more distance and sacrifice a load of corner exit speed, so this is something you want to avoid at any cost. Instead, if you brake a bit early, you can simply adjust by coasting for a bit, greatly reducing the risk of locking up and making it relatively easy to clip the apex on the inside. If you then manage to nail your acceleration point without having to make any throttle corrections coming out of the corner, it's still a perfectly solid line even if you lose a bit of time by braking early.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Pingu wrote:Hola all, long time no see :D
How are you supposed to drive this car?
Yo! And welcome back. :wink: T pretty much explained you everything about the braking. There is also one additional parameter the car got by last version - it's downforce. At higher speeds your car is getting the additional grip "from air resistance". This means that in most fast corners you should actually test if this effect can help you to go trough without a braking. The typical turn of this sort is semi-last corner in current (Avantura) track.

Will
Community User Level: 1

Post by Will » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

The qualifying system is brilliant! Having a page with the results updated automatically and the ability to post a time whenever we want during the week before the race makes players comeback often to try to improve that little extra. It's like a second championship inside the championship.
Thank you to all the noobs that made that possible!

Reading the above posts made me realize one thing that could explain why the behavior of the car looked odd to me.... the downforce. I'm (very) used to the simple and linear physics of cars like anti-slider and couldn't explain why the F1 car could have such an odd behavior in specific situations like the corner whiplash mentioned above, it took me a long time to realize i could take that corner flat out, my instinct keep telling me that wasn't possible... unless you add downforce to the equation, and that makes perfect sense. That's cool, that's an extra layer of reality on the game that I will have to take into account. I like that.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks for explenatoins.

Hitting dirt do you also loose your grip after you get back on the track?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Pingu wrote:Hitting dirt do you also loose your grip after you get back on the track?
Yes, of course, when tyres are enabled. Here are all things which affect performance of tyres:
- When just driving (accelerating)
- When normal braking - tyres get 1x more damage
- When braking with smoke - tyres get 20x more damage
- When Sliding - tyres get 2x more damage
- When touching sand - tyres get 30x more damage (it also depends on what terrain it is - slower terrain = more damage)
- When just moving left-right (even on straights) - tyres get 0.02x more damage

dede

Post by dede » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 pm

How much is the slowdown when tyres are worn?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 pm

dede wrote:How much is the slowdown when tyres are worn?
There is no slowdown. You only lose grip (turning/braking) and steering performance.
It's similar with fuel. This car has more "natural" way of fuel weight effect than the all other cars. You don't lose top speed, but only acceleration.
Once you run some of the sources I prepared for you for each race (track), just write: /show tyres, or /show drafting - and it will list you all properties.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:01 am

Since some of you asked it for, I added few more options for voting. Current votes are restarted. The result was 6:8 (21:00 vs 22:00).

power79
Community User Level: 3

Post by power79 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 am

I was wondering that if someone(s) from top-20 qualified doesn't show up to race are their place filled with next qualified driver(s) or is race driven with non-full grid? And how are the points distributed in these situations?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:52 am

power79 wrote:I was wondering that if someone(s) from top-20 qualified doesn't show up to race are their place filled with next qualified driver(s) or is race driven with non-full grid? And how are the points distributed in these situations?
Let's say it's 1st player. We will let in random player qualified from 20 to 30 place, but he'll start from back of the grid. Other players will move one position up. Player who missed the race will get 20 pts - for best qualy performance.

Will

Post by Will » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Gol V8 asked me to add him to the championship. Can you do it Whip?

TDi_Gol_v8
278e72b2

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Will wrote:Gol V8 asked me to add him to the championship. Can you do it Whip?

TDi_Gol_v8
278e72b2
Subscriptions aren't needed anymore. He just needs to get in top 20 in qualifications. We can read IDs from inside of the server's logs.

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm in, Astunce

id: 66b80017

btw, I voted "monday 22 gmt" but if the matchday chosen will be sunday, my vote goes to "sunday 22 gmt"

Oompa
Community User Level: 2

Post by Oompa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm in :)

Alexander Wurz

Post by Alexander Wurz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:38 pm

How can we do race-long tests? f1full.src is set on last week's track.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Alexander Wurz wrote:How can we do race-long tests? f1full.src is set on last week's track.
You have link for all of them in the calenar.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Information for everybody
This is how the server will prioritize groups of players who can join it just before the race:
Phase 1: Top 20 qualified players
Phase 2: Players qualified between 20 and 30 position (in case there are still free spots)
Phase 3: Any other player (in case there are still free spots)

Each phase will take 30 seconds. If you get kicked during the process, join as spectator - you might have a chance to still join the server (in phase 2 or 3).

Oompa

Post by Oompa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Zeg eens, lieve aap van een Whiplash, is mijn 25.8 goed genoeg?

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Oompa

Post by Oompa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks, I was wondering where my progress went

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm

We have already set the qualifications for the next week race (LINK for full live stats)
But this time it's going to be a lot more fun, thanks to Tijny. Once you drive your first stint, you'll be nicely surprised.:wink: Also, from now on, the qualifications will be open for the whole week.

ftroncoso

Post by ftroncoso » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Sorry about today's race, guys. Something weird started happening to my PC, where the game screen froze 4 times during the race. It would come back again in some seconds, but of course with the car off-track. I've kept trying racing, but decided to quit early (i.e. without trying a long recovering race) because I was afraid that this sudden freeze could put my car somewhere in the others racing lines and thus affecting their races. I will need to check why this happened. I've never seen such bug playing ts. Any hints?

Hope that this quitting is not understood as lack of sportsmanship. It was the opposite: leaving the track clear from troubled cars.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 pm

ftroncoso wrote:Sorry about today's race, guys. Something weird started happening to my PC
That sounds like a graphical problem - caused by a lot of players being on the screen while playing online. Try to use different graphics settings (change driver from OpenGl to SDL and turn off Vsync). In my case (with my old PC) it would happen when most of the cars rotate to a certain angle (I guess the PC is loading a lot of car rot-images at the same time).

Btw, to all:
Standings are updated and video has been uploaded.

My comment for now: Poor dede - smacked out by Bruno. :cry:

power79

Post by power79 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 am

Whiplash wrote:We have already set the qualifications for the next week race (LINK for full live stats)
I think there's something wrong with Badeend's lap video file(http://lvp-ts.com/videos/files/server3/ ... gis_v2.tsr).

Race last night was pretty fun. I was fighting positions most of the race unlike older competitions where I usually just focused getting lapped. But also huge amount of mistakes probably because I havent got used to traffic. Felt like everyone had different braking lines and also draft effect brought extra challenge. 3 stop strategy did gave me 4th place in best lap "competition", though. And race ended in happy note by passing Will at the end with 0.02 second difference. :D

Tijny

Post by Tijny » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 am

power79 wrote:Race last night was pretty fun. I was fighting positions most of the race unlike older competitions where I usually just focused getting lapped.
Agreed, with these relatively long tracks even the people who lose 2-3 seconds per lap will still only start getting lapped near the end of the race. Much better for everyone involved when there's not so much traffic going on that may or may not be on the same lap.

Good race on my part. When I saw that Badeend crashed his arse :( and Mike couldn't really keep up with me, I decided it could be interesting to go for 3 stops and come from behind like I did in the test race. Except this time, I felt like I was always completely in control. Still, well done to Mike for defending the lead with everything he had with 7-8 laps to go, but between my fresh tyres, his eco driving, and the drafting effect that makes overtaking relatively easy especially with the faster car, it was always going to be problematic for him to keep me behind.

Also well done to Oompa for mastering the car in what looked to be a matter of days, maybe with just a bit more practice and experience we might have another contender for the podium placings.

P.S. not sure why I fight all week for pole position if I'm just going to squander it with my utterly atrocious reaction time. :D